The final patch is attached. (See the end for how to test it.) > Eli: > it will need to be an opt-in feature. By default, it's disabled. > Dradams: > Be sure to consider also the behavior when subdir listings are > inserted in the buffer. Considered. > Stefan: > But Drew's point about inserted subdirs would need to be addressed. Addressed. > Stefan > I'd probably enable it if we had such an option, FWIW. Stefan likes my original patch, so please set `dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line' to `bounded' and `dired-headerline-is-meaningful' to nil. > Dradams: > it should move to the subdir header line, skipping only the blank > line before it. > `dired-(next|previous)-line' should move to header lines, as well as > to file/dir lines. > If you really DON'T want `n'|`p' to go to header lines then maybe > set some option. Have taken your advice. You like what your Dired+ does, so please set `dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line' to `cycle' and `dired-headerline-is-meaningful' to t. ___ - To Test It: There is totally 4 (not 6) kinds of combinations of the 2 new options: 1. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'bounded dired-headerline-is-meaningful nil) 2. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'cycle dired-headerline-is-meaningful nil) 3. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'bounded dired-headerline-is-meaningful t) 4. (setq dired-cursor-goto-meaningful-line 'cycle dired-headerline-is-meaningful t) Test them in 3 kinds of dired buffers: 1. regular dired buffer 2. buffer inserted subdirs 3. the option `dired-listing-switches' is an empty string, the directory is empty, and there is no subdir inserted. I.e., there is no filename lines. Only empty lines or header lines. Move cursor from anywhere.