all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Pip Cet <pipcet@protonmail.com>
To: "Gerd Möllmann" <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com>
Cc: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>,
	Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org, eller.helmut@gmail.com
Subject: Re: MPS: User GC customizations
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2024 15:12:50 +0000	[thread overview]

On Thursday, July 4th, 2024 at 14:45, Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko yantar92@posteo.net writes:
>
> > > Define GC, so to speak, and define what triggering the GC means in a
> > > concurrent, incremental GC :-)
> >
> > AFAIU, the points of interests from real-time performance perspective
> > are (1) when MPS has to pause the threads to do its job and how we can
> > tweak it; (2) how long does it take to scan the arena to allocate new
> > objects (synchronous process) and how this time is influenced by MPS
> > settings.
>
> Right. Alas, we don't have something for that. (And I don't know how to
> do it either.)

I think we can just set flags for "called MPS" and "in a scan function" and look at them in the SIGPROF handler to distinguish the four cases?

My suspicion is that most problems are going to be due to large objects creating large segments which we have to scan completely, but that's a (micro-?) optimization for another day.

Would it be okay to keep track of the largest object/pvec of each type in igc.el/Figc_info? I've got a patch here which does that, and I think the number is at least as interesting as the average :-)

> > > What this variable does is give MPS notice that the client is currently
> > > idle and it might be a good time to do some work.
> >
> > Without understanding what effect setting this variable has on the Emacs
> > responsiveness, it does not seem very useful. (Exactly because MPS is
> > concurrent)
>
> That was kind of my point. We can use idle time for using this variable
> and see what effect it has, especially in interactive use. Sorry if that
> wasn't clear. I'm personally trying 0.1 (100ms) here at the moment.

I think it might very well have an effect, but being able to tune the MPS is important, too, both for debugging and to improve performance. And the documentation seems to be quite minimal.

> > > Exactly, whqt does it mean? And if we don't know, why is it an example
> > > for anything?
> >
> > AFAIU, on master, SIGPROF handled while our vanilla GC is running
> > will record it. In contrast, on scratch/igc, SIGPROF will put all the
> > time when igc_busy_p () is non-nil into "GC".
>
> Right. And I wonder if that simply is because MPS is doing stuff in its
> own thread.

That (or another thread calling MPS to make an allocation) would definitely show up as a false positive.

> > And igc_busy_p is not only non-nil when MPS is pausing Emacs to do its
> > job, but also during object allocation. So, on master, profiler "GC"
> > field records real GC pauses, while on scratch/igc "GC" field is GC
> > pauses + new object allocation.
>
> The docs say
>
> -- C Function: *note mps_bool_t: 129. mps_arena_busy (mps_arena_t
> arena)
>
> Return true if an *note arena: 16. is part of the way through
> execution of an operation, false otherwise.
>
> ‘arena’ is the arena.
>
> Note: This function is intended to assist with debugging fatal
> errors in the *note client program: d0. It is not expected to
> be needed in normal use. If you find yourself wanting to use
> this function other than in the use case described below,
> there may be a better way to meet your requirements: please
> *note contact us: d8.
>
> What "partly through an operation" means is anyone's guess at this
> point. Someone would have to consult the sources. The docs don't say
> what you are suggesting, from my POV.

IIRC it just checks whether the arena lock is held, whenever that might be.

> > My figure of 30% says that igc_busy_p () is for 30% of CPU time, which
> > is a significant number. But it is not very useful unless we get some
> > idea about which part of it is memory allocation and which part of it is
> > MPS pausing all Emacs threads.
> >
> > Ideally, we should also have some way to get the allocation times on
> > master. Then, we can compare them directly.
>
> Maybe it would be interesting what the meansurements look like on macOS,
> where the check for igc_busy are not needed in the SIGPROF handler.

How sure are we of that, by the way? My understanding is there are two ways signals can interfere with one another: SIGSEGV -> SIGPROF -> SIGSEGV (which wouldn't happen on macOS) and alloc -> SIGPROF -> SIGSEGV, which might.

Pip