all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* comments line width
@ 2006-04-29 20:52 Gary Wessle
       [not found] ` <mailman.1143.1146394395.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-04-29 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

in python mode, under dabian testing, when I start a new line with #
it does not go to a new line which automatically starts with # after
the first line gets bigger than 70 char. how can I get it to do this?

thanks

* Re: comments line width
@ 2006-04-30 10:52 ` Rupert Swarbrick
       [not found] ` <mailman.1143.1146394395.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2006-04-30 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>
> in python mode, under dabian testing, when I start a new line with #
> it does not go to a new line which automatically starts with # after
> the first line gets bigger than 70 char. how can I get it to do this?
>
> thanks

I think you probably want auto-fill-mode. Just do M-x auto-fill-mode and
try - I haven't tried this in python, but it works in C/C++, Java, Perl
and sh mode, so it's a good bet.

Rupert

* Re: comments line width
       [not found] ` <mailman.1143.1146394395.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-04-30 19:04   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-30 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rupert Swarbrick" <rupert.swarbrick@lineone.net> wrote in message
> Gary Wessle wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > in python mode, under dabian testing, when I start a new line with #
> > it does not go to a new line which automatically starts with # after
> > the first line gets bigger than 70 char. how can I get it to do this?
> >
> > thanks
>
> I think you probably want auto-fill-mode. Just do M-x auto-fill-mode and
> try - I haven't tried this in python, but it works in C/C++, Java, Perl
> and sh mode, so it's a good bet.
>
> Rupert

But Gary needs to set fill-column first to something greater than 70 (the
default). Say 200 or 20000. C-u 200 C-x f.

Ed

* Re: comments line width
@ 2006-04-30 19:49     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-04-30 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> "Rupert Swarbrick" <rupert.swarbrick@lineone.net> wrote in message
> > Gary Wessle wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > in python mode, under dabian testing, when I start a new line with #
> > > it does not go to a new line which automatically starts with # after
> > > the first line gets bigger than 70 char. how can I get it to do
this?

> > > thanks
> >
> > I think you probably want auto-fill-mode. Just do M-x auto-fill-mode
and
> > try - I haven't tried this in python, but it works in C/C++, Java,
Perl
> > and sh mode, so it's a good bet.
> >
> > Rupert
>
> But Gary needs to set fill-column first to something greater than 70
(the
> default). Say 200 or 20000. C-u 200 C-x f.
>
> Ed

Belay that last order. Lines longer than 60 or 70 characters are less
legible. M-x auto-fill-mode is enough to do what you want.

Ed.