all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* easy menu
@ 2003-04-05  7:35 Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-04-05  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to get a2ps-print to add to Emacs's existing Files menu,
using easy-menu.

   (easy-menu-add-item nil '("files")
		 '(nil
		   ["a2ps Print Buffer" a2ps-buffer t]))

The problem is the " '(nil" in the second line.
How do I tell easy-menu to put this in the File menu, and not a submenu?

I'd like put in a 'before' arg, to place this before the "Postscript
Print Buffer"
menu item. Here, XEmacs tends to do the right thing, naming the menu item
the same as the text that it displays.
In other words, I have to track down the actual name of this menu item,
which
is likely "postscript", and then figure out the non portable difference
from what
XEmacs calls this.

This makes me wonder, since easymenu has portability problems, if it has any
advantage over using native menu code.

Thanks ahead!

* Re: easy menu
@ 2003-04-05  8:23 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-04-05  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Ingalls <bingalls@CUT-this-SPAM-BLOCK.fit-zones.com> writes:

> I am trying to get a2ps-print to add to Emacs's existing Files menu,
> using easy-menu.
>
>    (easy-menu-add-item nil '("files")
> 		 '(nil
> 		   ["a2ps Print Buffer" a2ps-buffer t]))
>
> The problem is the " '(nil" in the second line.
> How do I tell easy-menu to put this in the File menu, and not a submenu?

I don't know about easy-menu, but this works:

(define-key-after menu-bar-file-menu [a2ps]
  '("a2ps Print Buffer" . a2ps-buffer)
  'ps-print-buffer)

* Re: easy menu
@ 2003-04-05 12:59   ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-04-05 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hm. Well that's better than the code that I already have working for Emacs
and XEmacs. However, your code won't work on XEmacs.
I thought that easy menu was the better way to go, because it is more
portable, and more forwards compatible.