all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-21 21:04 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-04-21 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi List,
I do have quite a few Emacs crashes recently, but looking into the main
log files of my system did not yield any related messages - where can I
find them? (It happens maybe once a day or so, so it would be hard to
set debug-on-error.)

The last two times Emacs crashed when I tried to open an article in the
gnus summary buffer, but in other occasions it crashed while being idle
for some time. And I opened many articles in between without any
problems.

I use one emacs-daemon and several emacsclients in console and X11
sessions. My system:

"GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-02-07 on arch
Org-mode version 7.8.03
Ma Gnus v0.2"

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-22  2:48 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-22  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:04:54 +0200
>
> I do have quite a few Emacs crashes recently, but looking into the main
> log files of my system did not yield any related messages - where can I
> find them?

If your system log doesn't have anything appropriate, it probably
means that Emacs aborted itself, rather than crashed.

The way to find out why is to run Emacs under a debugger.  Then, when
Emacs aborts, the debugger will kick in, and you will be able to poke
around for reasons.

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-22 10:04   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-04-22 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:04:54 +0200
>>
>> I do have quite a few Emacs crashes recently, but looking into the main
>> log files of my system did not yield any related messages - where can I
>> find them?
>
> If your system log doesn't have anything appropriate, it probably
> means that Emacs aborted itself, rather than crashed.

Emacs aborting itself is especially annoying when you have a setting
with one Emacs daemon but lots of Emacs clients, i.e. when using WMs
like tmux or stumpwm to manage the Emacs windows.

> The way to find out why is to run Emacs under a debugger.  Then, when
> Emacs aborts, the debugger will kick in, and you will be able to poke
> around for reasons.

That would be something like:

,---------------
| gdb run emacsd
`---------------

?
I must admit, I just installed gdb, have to read a bit about its use
first probably.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-22 15:34     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.439.1335110579.751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-04-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:19 +0200
>
> Emacs aborting itself is especially annoying when you have a setting
> with one Emacs daemon but lots of Emacs clients, i.e. when using WMs
> like tmux or stumpwm to manage the Emacs windows.

It is _always_ annoying.  At least Emacs auto-saves everything, so you
don't lose too much.

> > The way to find out why is to run Emacs under a debugger.  Then, when
> > Emacs aborts, the debugger will kick in, and you will be able to poke
> > around for reasons.
>
> That would be something like:
>
> ,---------------
> | gdb run emacsd
> `---------------
>
> ?

No, I don't think so.  (emacsd is a shell script, right?)  The best
way is to start Emacs as you normally would, then find out the PID
(process ID) of the running Emacs process, and type "gdb -p PID" from
a shell prompt.  GDB will attach itself to Emacs; then, when GDB shows
its prompt, type "continue", hit Enter, and use Emacs as usual.

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-22 16:04       ` Thorsten
       [not found]       ` <mailman.439.1335110579.751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thorsten @ 2012-04-22 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:19 +0200
>>
>> That would be something like:
>>
>> ,---------------
>> | gdb run emacsd
>> `---------------
>>
>> ?
>
> No, I don't think so.  (emacsd is a shell script, right?)

Yes, forgot to mention that.

> The best way is to start Emacs as you normally would, then find out
> the PID (process ID) of the running Emacs process, and type "gdb -p
> PID" from a shell prompt. GDB will attach itself to Emacs; then, when
> GDB shows its prompt, type "continue", hit Enter, and use Emacs as
> usual.

Ok, thanks, I will try this.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
       [not found] <mailman.416.1335042188.751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-04-22 20:28 ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2012-04-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

W dniu sobota, 21 kwietnia 2012 23:04:54 UTC+2 użytkownik Thorsten napisał:
(...)
> The last two times Emacs crashed when I tried to open an article in the
> gnus summary buffer, but in other occasions it crashed while being idle
> for some time. And I opened many articles in between without any
> problems.
(...)
> "GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>  of 2012-02-07 on arch
(...)

Hello Thorsten,

I don't know about gnus, since I don't use it, but I've been using:

    GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9) of 2012-03-04

for the last month without any problem (also on 64-bit linux, not exactly the
same version, but very near). Maybe you could try upgrading from bzr.

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-04-23 10:52   ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-04-23 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> W dniu sobota, 21 kwietnia 2012 23:04:54 UTC+2 użytkownik Thorsten napisał:
> (...)
>> The last two times Emacs crashed when I tried to open an article in the
>> gnus summary buffer, but in other occasions it crashed while being idle
>> for some time. And I opened many articles in between without any
>> problems.
> (...)
>> "GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
>>  of 2012-02-07 on arch
> (...)

Hello Jose,

> I don't know about gnus, since I don't use it, but I've been using:
>
>     GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.9) of 2012-03-04
>
> for the last month without any problem (also on 64-bit linux, not exactly the
> same version, but very near). Maybe you could try upgrading from bzr.

I try to figure out first what happens, then I will update if problems
persists. But its a bit like with the teeth stopping to hurt when its time
to go to the dentist - with 'gdb on' Emacs runs stable at the moment.
Thanks for the hint.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
       [not found]       ` <mailman.439.1335110579.751.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-01 14:55         ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I use GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.4)
I don't run emacsclient those days.
I have an average weekly crash, usually while typing it seems.

Thanks for the gdb hint.

Cheers,

Alexandre

On 04/22/2012 06:04 PM, Thorsten wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>  writes:
>
>>> From: Thorsten<quintfall@googlemail.com>
>>> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:19 +0200
>>>
>>> That would be something like:
>>>
>>> ,---------------
>>> `---------------
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> No, I don't think so.  (emacsd is a shell script, right?)
>
> Yes, forgot to mention that.
>
>> The best way is to start Emacs as you normally would, then find out
>> the PID (process ID) of the running Emacs process, and type "gdb -p
>> PID" from a shell prompt. GDB will attach itself to Emacs; then, when
>> GDB shows its prompt, type "continue", hit Enter, and use Emacs as
>> usual.
>
> Ok, thanks, I will try this.

* Re: Emacs 24 crashes
@ 2012-05-01 18:23           ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2012-05-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My emacs is not aborted. It freezes and takes 100% CPU. Fortunately it
can be easily killed.

Alexandre