all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Wrap predefined text around region
@ 2010-12-02 22:05 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-02 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can anyone show an example of how to do something like this:

I want to wrap this:

  # [HP 101202_15:55:07
  # ]

Around the selected text...
   <selected text region here>
   <selected text region here>
   <selected text region here>
   <selected text region here>

that is, select some text and press a key
combo ... voila... its now surrounded by:
  # [HP 101202_15:55:07

  # ]

Over the yrs I've acquired a fairly lengthy .emacs mostly by theft
from more skilled people.  Coding something like that is clear out of
my skill set.

I use lots of `skeleton' things for inserting various predefined texts
but don't know how to make that happen to selected region.

Usually given an example, I've been able to hack it up to my needs.

* Re: Wrap predefined text around region
@ 2010-12-03 10:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-12-03 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/2/10 3:05 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Can anyone show an example of how to do something like this:
>
> I want to wrap this:
>
>    # [HP 101202_15:55:07
>    # ]
>
> Around the selected text...
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>
> that is, select some text and press a key
> combo ... voila... its now surrounded by:
>    # [HP 101202_15:55:07
>
>    # ]
>
> Over the yrs I've acquired a fairly lengthy .emacs mostly by theft
> from more skilled people.  Coding something like that is clear out of
> my skill set.
>
> I use lots of `skeleton' things for inserting various predefined texts
> but don't know how to make that happen to selected region.
>
> Usually given an example, I've been able to hack it up to my needs.

`skeleton' sounds like it's the right level of abstraction, but since I'm not
familiar with it here's a hack:

(defun delimit-region (beg end beg-delim end-delim)
   "Delimit region from BEG to END by inserting BEG-DELIM and END-DELIM text."
   (interactive "r\nsBegin: \nsEnd: ")
   (unless (markerp end)
     (setq end (copy-marker end)))
   (unwind-protect
       (progn
	(save-excursion
	  (goto-char beg)
	  (insert-before-markers beg-delim))
	(save-excursion
	  (goto-char end)
	  (insert end-delim)))
     (when (markerp end)
       (set-marker end nil))))

Hope that helps,
--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Wrap predefined text around region
@ 2010-12-03 12:14 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-12-03 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.12.2010 23:05, schrieb Harry Putnam:
> Can anyone show an example of how to do something like this:
>
> I want to wrap this:
>
>    # [HP 101202_15:55:07
>    # ]
>
> Around the selected text...
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>     <selected text region here>
>
> that is, select some text and press a key
> combo ... voila... its now surrounded by:
>    # [HP 101202_15:55:07
>
>    # ]
>
> Over the yrs I've acquired a fairly lengthy .emacs mostly by theft
> from more skilled people.  Coding something like that is clear out of
> my skill set.
>
> I use lots of `skeleton' things for inserting various predefined texts
> but don't know how to make that happen to selected region.
>
> Usually given an example, I've been able to hack it up to my needs.

Hi,

maybe try `ar-blok-region-atpt'

from

thing-at-point-utils.el at
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt

`blok' means arbitrary beg- and end-string, ie a markup.

Should be easy to re-define for your needs.

HTH

Andreas

* Re: Wrap predefined text around region
@ 2010-12-03 14:31 ` Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2010-12-03 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Like you, I have a huge .emacs that I've acquired over the years.  Here's
what I use to comment out a C region with #if 0:

                (define-key c-mode-base-map "\C-ci" 'if0-region)

; function to comment a region using #if 0

(defun if0-region (p1 p2)
  (interactive "r")
  (let* ()
  (goto-char p1)