all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problems with ediff-startup-hooks
@ 2006-02-27 14:38 bhenz
From: bhenz @ 2006-02-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I running emacs 21.4.1. I'm trying to do some fancy ediff stuff.

Actually not terribly fancy, I just want to invoke it from the command
line with parmeters similar to "diff", specifically using the -L option to
give more descriptive names to the buffers. Currently I can ediff two
files by doing the following...

emacs --eval='(progn (setq ediff-diff-options "-wbB") (ediff-files "file1"
"file2"))'

Maybe there's an easier/better way?

ANYWAY,

The path I'm currently on requires me to hook into the
"ediff-startup-hooks" with the following code in my .emacs file...

(require 'ediff)

;; Get rid of the annoying little (separate) ediff window and
;; turn it into a 3rd pane in the main emacs window.
(setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)

;; Put files side-by-side
;(setq ediff-split-window-function 'split-window-horizontally)

(defun my-ediff-startup-hooks ()
    (set-buffer ediff-buffer-A)
    (rename-buffer "bobA")
    (set-buffer ediff-buffer-B)
    (rename-buffer "bobB")
)

(add-hook 'ediff-startup-hooks 'my-ediff-startup-hooks)

OK, so this is just baby-step code because clearly "bobA" and "bobB" are
not useful, but I can't even get THIS to work! I even tried inserting a
line I knew would fail in the defined function (something like
(undefined_bob_qwerty)) and I never got a complaint when I fired up a new
instance of ediff.

(but I know it was picking up my changes to .emacs because if I made a syntax error then it would warn me about that.)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bob

* Re: problems with ediff-startup-hooks
@ 2006-03-01 18:45 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-03-01 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

bhenz@Lexmark.com wrote:
 > I running emacs 21.4.1. I'm trying to do some fancy ediff stuff.
 >
 > Actually not terribly fancy, I just want to invoke it from the command
 > line with parmeters similar to "diff", specifically using the -L option
 > to give more descriptive names to the buffers. Currently I can ediff two
 > files by doing the following...
 >
 > emacs --eval='(progn (setq ediff-diff-options "-wbB") (ediff-files
 > "file1" "file2"))'
 >
 > Maybe there's an easier/better way?

Looks good to me, but here's a snippet that'll let you run
emacs --diff file1 file2

Perhaps you can tweak it to accept ediff-diff-options as a command line
argument as well.

(defun diff-command-line-args (switch)
   "Run `ediff-files' on the following 2 command line arguments (after
SWITCH)."
   ;; (prog1 ...) == (pop command-line-args-left):
   (let ((file-a (prog1 (car command-line-args-left)
                  (setq command-line-args-left
                        (cdr command-line-args-left))))
         (file-b (prog1 (car command-line-args-left)
                  (setq command-line-args-left
                        (cdr command-line-args-left)))))
     (ediff-files file-a file-b)))

(setq command-switch-alist
       (cons '("--diff" . diff-command-line-args) command-switch-alist))

 > ANYWAY,
 >
 > The path I'm currently on requires me to hook into the
 > "ediff-startup-hooks" with the following code in my .emacs file...
 >
 > (require 'ediff)
 >
 > ;; Get rid of the annoying little (separate) ediff window and
 > ;; turn it into a 3rd pane in the main emacs window.
 > (setq ediff-window-setup-function 'ediff-setup-windows-plain)
 >
 > ;; Put files side-by-side
 > ;(setq ediff-split-window-function 'split-window-horizontally)
 >
 > (defun my-ediff-startup-hooks ()
 >     (set-buffer ediff-buffer-A)
 >     (rename-buffer "bobA")
 >     (set-buffer ediff-buffer-B)
 >     (rename-buffer "bobB")
 > )
 >
 > (add-hook 'ediff-startup-hooks 'my-ediff-startup-hooks)
 >
 > OK, so this is just baby-step code because clearly "bobA" and "bobB" are
 > not useful, but I can't even get THIS to work! I even tried inserting a
 > line I knew would fail in the defined function (something like
 > (undefined_bob_qwerty)) and I never got a complaint when I fired up a
 > new instance of ediff.
 >
 > (but I know it was picking up my changes to .emacs because if I made a
 > /syntax/ error then it would warn me about that.)
 >
 > What am I doing wrong?

AFAIK, the name of the variable is ediff-startup-hook (no "s").

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: problems with ediff-startup-hooks
@ 2006-03-02 14:42 bhenz