all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Switch to buffer and line...
@ 2005-10-20 12:59 luca.spinacci
From: luca.spinacci @ 2005-10-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a buffer with number line and name of the new buffer to switch to:
pointing the
curson on the number line my function search backward for the name of the
buffer and
switch to that, but once it gets there the goto-line function doesn't take
me to the requested
line...

(defun retrieve-buffer-and-line-at-point()
  (interactive)
  ( save-excursion(if(number-at-point) ; check if the cursor is pointing a number of line
       (setq target (number-at-point)))
       (call-interactively 'switch-at-point) ; switch to buffer: it works correctly!
       (if(current-buffer)
       (goto-line target))))                             ; does nothing???

(defun switch-at-point()
  (interactive)
  (
   save-excursion(
     if(search-backward "in buffer: ")
     (
      save-excursion(end-of-line)
        (if(thing-at-point 'sexp)
            (switch-to-buffer(thing-at-point 'filename)))))))

Thanks in advance,
Luca.

* Re: Switch to buffer and line...
       [not found] <mailman.12004.1129813207.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-20 15:30 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-10-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (defun retrieve-buffer-and-line-at-point()
>   (interactive)
>   ( save-excursion(if(number-at-point) ; check if the cursor is pointing a number of line
>        (setq target (number-at-point)))
>        (call-interactively 'switch-at-point) ; switch to buffer: it works correctly!
>        (if(current-buffer)
>        (goto-line target))))                             ; does nothing???

Your goto-line is inside a save-excursion.
You ARE going there but then going back.