all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-23 19:50 Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2010-03-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

With a new Windows platform, I'm trying to update emacs from 20.6 to
22.3.1.

I have to get igrep working.  I use it constantly.  I see this error.  I
can stay
on 20.6, but it seems like a good time to upgrade if I can get everything
working.

1 - The first few lines of output look like this, which means I can't
immediately start
stepping through.  I have to click on the igrep frame first.

-*- mode: igrep; default-directory: "f:/emacs/" -*-
Igrep started at Tue Mar 23 15:33:32

grep -n -i -e copy f:/emacs/*.el NUL
... and then the matches ...

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com
914-784-7646 (863-7646)

* Re: emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-23 21:49 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-03-23 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> With a new Windows platform, I'm trying to update emacs from 20.6 to 22.3.1.

Why are you not upgrading to Emacs 23?

> I have to get igrep working. I use it constantly.

What does it do that lgrep and rgrep does not do?

> I see this error. I can
> stay
> on 20.6, but it seems like a good time to upgrade if I can get everything
> working.
>
> 1 - The first few lines of output look like this, which means I can't
> immediately start
> stepping through. I have to click on the igrep frame first.

I can't understand what you mean. What did you expect?

> -*- mode: igrep; default-directory: "f:/emacs/" -*-
> Igrep started at Tue Mar 23 15:33:32
>
> grep -n -i -e copy f:/emacs/*.el NUL
> ... and then the matches ...
>
> --
> Ken Goldman kgold@watson.ibm.com
> 914-784-7646 (863-7646)

* Re: emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-24  1:32   ` Kenneth Goldman
From: Kenneth Goldman @ 2010-03-24  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote on 03/23/2010 05:49:54
PM:

> > I have to get igrep working. I use it constantly.
>
> What does it do that lgrep and rgrep does not do?

I don't know lgrep and rgrep.  I installed igrep years ago.  Are those
better?  Basically, I put the cursor over a word and hit a keystroke,
it creates an *igrep* windows, searching for that word.  Then I can I
can use next-error to step through the matches.

> > I see this error. I can
> > stay
> > on 20.6, but it seems like a good time to upgrade if I can get
everything
> > working.
> >
> > 1 - The first few lines of output look like this, which means I can't
> > immediately start
> > stepping through. I have to click on the igrep frame first.
>
> I can't understand what you mean. What did you expect?

Those 3 lines (the ones with the mode, the date, and the blank)
confuse next-error.

> > -*- mode: igrep; default-directory: "f:/emacs/" -*-
> > Igrep started at Tue Mar 23 15:33:32
> >
> > grep -n -i -e copy f:/emacs/*.el NUL
> > ... and then the matches ...

* Re: emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-24  1:57     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-03-24  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Goldman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I don't know lgrep and rgrep.  I installed igrep years ago.  Are those
> better?

They come with Emacs and are maintained.

> Basically, I put the cursor over a word and hit a keystroke,
> it creates an *igrep* windows, searching for that word.  Then I can I
> can use next-error to step through the matches.

That should work with lgrep and rgrep.

* Re: emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-24  5:04 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-03-24  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kenneth Goldman wrote:
> With a new Windows platform, I'm trying to update emacs from 20.6 to 22.3.1.
>
> I have to get igrep working. I use it constantly. I see this error. I
> can stay
> on 20.6, but it seems like a good time to upgrade if I can get
> everything working.

Hi Ken, I'm the author of igrep.  But I stopped maintaining it back in 2005.

> 1 - The first few lines of output look like this, which means I can't
> immediately start
> stepping through. I have to click on the igrep frame first.

igrep was just an interface to Emacs' compile:

       (compile-internal command (format "No more %s matches" program)
                         "Igrep" nil grep-regexp-alist)

So if the *igrep* buffer isn't selected, that's because of Emacs itself.

If you have an *igrep* frame, I think you must have frobbed
special-display-buffer-names (or similar customization).

Also, note that you don't _have_ to select the *igrep* buffer to visit
the matches: C-x ` (M-x next-error) works from any buffer.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: emacs 22.3.1 igrep issue
@ 2010-03-25  0:53     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-03-25  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kenneth Goldman wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote on 03/23/2010 05:49:54 PM:
>  > > 1 - The first few lines of output look like this, which means I can't
>  > > immediately start
>  > > stepping through. I have to click on the igrep frame first.
>  >
>  > I can't understand what you mean. What did you expect?
>
> Those 3 lines (the ones with the mode, the date, and the blank)
> confuse next-error.
>
>  >
>  > > -*- mode: igrep; default-directory: "f:/emacs/" -*-
>  > > Igrep started at Tue Mar 23 15:33:32
>  > >
>  > > grep -n -i -e copy f:/emacs/*.el NUL
>  > > ... and then the matches ...

Ah, I see the same thing in 22.3.  For some reason, Emacs identifies the
"Igrep started at ..." line as a grep hit:

There are text properties here:
   face                 (compilation-info underline)
   help-echo            "mouse-2: visit this file and line"
   keymap               compilation-button-map
   message              [Show]
   mouse-face           highlight

Here's where igrep hands over control to Emacs:

     (if (fboundp 'compilation-start)    ; Emacs 22
         (let ((compilation-process-setup-function 'grep-process-setup))
           (or (fboundp 'igrep-mode)
               (define-derived-mode igrep-mode grep-mode "Igrep"))
           (compilation-start command
                              'igrep-mode
                              nil
                              (cond ((eq compilation-highlight-regexp t))
                                    (compilation-highlight-regexp
                                     (if (eq program "fgrep")
                                         (regexp-quote regex)
                                       regex)))))

@ 2010-03-26 14:37     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-03-26 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote on 03/23/2010 05:49:54 PM:
>
>> > I have to get igrep working. I use it constantly.
>>
>> What does it do that lgrep and rgrep does not do?
>
> I don't know lgrep and rgrep.  I installed igrep years ago.  Are those
> better?  Basically, I put the cursor over a word and hit a keystroke,
> it creates an *igrep* windows, searching for that word.  Then I can I
> can use next-error to step through the matches.

This is the same as with lgrep and rgrep. You can then use the next
error functionality to move from hit to hit. Both built in and
supported.

,----
| next-error is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
`----

I wonder also why bother moving to emacs 22 when emacs 23 is released
and stable? It nothing else it has much better font handling ;)