all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Finding files in a directory tree
@ 2002-11-14 14:47 Gerald.Jean
From: Gerald.Jean @ 2002-11-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have been using Emacs for quite some time and each time I need to find
where, in a directory tree, are located some file(s) I have to go back to
MS Explorer, which is a pain if I want to edit the file(s).  I now know
that the function to do that is "find-name-dired", but I can't figure out
how to use it.  The documentation says:

find-name-dired is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `find-dired'.
(find-name-dired DIR PATTERN)

Search DIR recursively for files matching the globbing pattern PATTERN,
and run dired on those files.
PATTERN is a shell wildcard (not an Emacs regexp) and need not be quoted.
The command run (after changing into DIR) is

    find . -name 'PATTERN' -ls

and if I look-up the documentation for "find" it says:

find is an autoloaded Lisp function in `cl-seq'.
[Arg list not available until function definition is loaded.]
not documented

All this may be very meaningful for old time Emacs-ers and / or Unix-ers but I can't figure out how to specify "PATTERN".  Specifying the
directory is no problem but stuff like "*.ps", for example, doesn't work for PATTERN.  I allways get the following error message:

  c:/latex/:
  find . \( -name '*.ps' \) -exec ls -ld {} \;
  Fichier introuvable - '*.ps'

  find exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Nov 14 09:44:00

But there is files ending in ".ps" in that directory.

A few examples would be highly appreciated, thanks,

Gérald Jean
Analyste-conseil (statistiques), Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: gerald.jean@spgdag.ca

"In God we trust all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

* Re: Finding files in a directory tree
       [not found] <mailman.1037301027.2689.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-14 21:18 ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-11-14 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

It sounds like Emacs is finding the M$ find.exe in its search path.

On a Linux system...

M-x find-name-dired <Ret> ~/ <Ret> phone <Ret>

I think you need a unix/Linux version of 'find' that runs on M$. This
version should be found first in the Emacs 'exec-path'.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

* Sanskrit Unicode on Linux
@ 2002-11-19  3:01 ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-11-19  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Christian Coseru <christian.coseru@anu.edu.au>
Subject: Sanskrit Unicode on Linux and www
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002

display for online publishing, I have written a short technical note that
covers Sanskrit unicode processing using the utf-skt package. The description
lists requirements and gives a step by step procedure for getting your Emacs
and LaTex configured for Sanskrit Unicode typesetting and online publishing.

http://www.anu.edu.au/asianstudies/ahcen/coseru/unicode/

Christian

Christian Coseru
Australian National University
Centre for Asian Societies and Histories
Faculty of Asian Studies

Canberra ACT 0200
Phone : 61 2 6125 4323
Facsimile: 61 2 6124 8326