all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* the SPACE filename completion is not working
@ 2006-06-13 22:41 Luis A Escobar
From: Luis A Escobar @ 2006-06-13 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.501 in a Windows XP environment.

  I just installed Emacs (but I have used it before).

 To open a file I key in

  C-x C-f

and in the mini-buffer I see  c:/lae/

Then when I  key in SPACE after the last /, I get a "blank" space rather
than a filename completion.
 If I, however,  key in TAB after the last /,  I get a filename completion.

 How do I enable the SPACE key to work for file completion (I need both TAB
and SPACE file
 name completion).

Thank you for any help

Best regards, Luis A Escobar

Louisiana State University

* Re: the SPACE filename completion is not working
@ 2006-06-13 22:52 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-06-13 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Luis A Escobar wrote:

> I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.501 in a Windows XP environment.
>
>   I just installed Emacs (but I have used it before).
>
>  To open a file I key in
>
>   C-x C-f
>
> and in the mini-buffer I see  c:/lae/
>
> Then when I  key in SPACE after the last /, I get a "blank" space rather
> than a filename completion.
>  If I, however,  key in TAB after the last /,  I get a filename completion.
>
>  How do I enable the SPACE key to work for file completion (I need both TAB
> and SPACE file
>  name completion).

I think the SPACE completion has been removed because there could be a
space in a file name.

Why do you need both TAB and SPACE completion for file names?

* Re: the SPACE filename completion is not working
@ 2006-06-13 22:53 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best".
                                      -- H. Allen Smith

* Re: the SPACE filename completion is not working
@ 2006-06-13 23:02   ` Luis A Escobar
From: Luis A Escobar @ 2006-06-13 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart: thank you for your help.

   I need both because I am use to it. But, if is not available I will live
   with the TAB

Thanks again

Best regards, Luis A

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> on 06/13/2006 05:52:40
PM

To:    Luis A Escobar <luis@lsu.edu>
cc:    help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Subject:    Re: the SPACE filename completion is not working

@ 2006-06-13 23:06   ` Luis A Escobar
From: Luis A Escobar @ 2006-06-13 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Peter: thank you for your help. I will proceed with the binding you
  are suggesting.

  Thanks again

Best regards, Luis A

Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>@Web.DE on 06/13/2006 05:53:18 PM

Sent by:    Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE

To:    Luis A Escobar <luis@lsu.edu>
cc:    help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

--

       [not found] <mailman.2859.1150238502.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-14  8:07 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-06-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis A Escobar <luis@lsu.edu> writes:

> I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.501 in a Windows XP environment.
>
>   I just installed Emacs (but I have used it before).
>
>  To open a file I key in
>
>   C-x C-f
>
> and in the mini-buffer I see  c:/lae/
>
> Then when I  key in SPACE after the last /, I get a "blank" space rather
> than a filename completion.
>  If I, however,  key in TAB after the last /,  I get a filename completion.
>
>  How do I enable the SPACE key to work for file completion (I need both TAB
> and SPACE file
>  name completion).
>
> Thank you for any help
>
> Best regards, Luis A Escobar
>
> Louisiana State University

This is a change documented in the NEWS file which comes with emacs 22
and includes (from memory) what to do to get back the old behavior.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: the SPACE filename completion is not working
@ 2006-06-14 12:46   ` Luis A Escobar
From: Luis A Escobar @ 2006-06-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim: thank you for the response.