all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* HELP: xemacs auto deleting characters!!
@ 2003-03-20 15:05 Nick.Godbey
From: Nick.Godbey @ 2003-03-20 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I am using xemacs to manage some  email test messages that us a CRLF as a
newline.
The latest version of xemacs removes the CR when the file is opened and
when I save the
file the CR is gone. This is a very bad behavior. NO editor should auto
delete characters unless
there is a special mode for that perpose. I get the same behavior in both
fundamental or text modes.

does anyone know how to turn this bug/feature off?

SYSTEM:

redhat 7.3
xemacs veraion 21.5  beta 9.

thanx in advance

Nick

* Re: HELP: xemacs auto deleting characters!!
       [not found] <mailman.3424.1048172845.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-25 10:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-25 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick.Godbey@sita.aero writes:

> I am using xemacs to manage some email test messages that us a CRLF
> as a newline.  The latest version of xemacs removes the CR when the
> file is opened and when I save the file the CR is gone. This is a
> very bad behavior. NO editor should auto delete characters unless
> there is a special mode for that perpose. I get the same behavior in
> both fundamental or text modes.

I agree about it being bad behavior.  However, you might be able to
get more help in comp.emacs.xemacs, which is for XEmacs.

By default, Emacs keeps the EOL convention of the file, so there
wouldn't be a problem there...