all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-11 20:10 Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2002-06-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

This must be a bug!

When a scroll a window by hold down the the down-arrow button,
the scrolling motion have anoying jumps now and then. What happes
is, obviously, that the window gets recentered. I have tried (nearly)
any combination of settings of variables in the customization group
"windows", but nothing helps.

Today I have tried the following:
Set scroll-margin to eg. 5. Press the down-key repeatedly (but slowly
so you can see what happens). Then the window is supposed to scroll
so that there are 5 rows from the cursor to the bottom of the window.
But now and then there is no scroll, so that there is only 4 lines from
the cursor to the bottom of the window! The next press of the down-key
brings things back to normal. There are no long lines in the file, and
and the behavoiur does not seem to be conneted to any specific points
in a file.

The problem occurs in

GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-windows98.3000) of 2002-03-19 on buffy

on a PC running MS Windows ME, but it was there also when I used GNU Emacs
20.7 and MS Windows 95. I do *NOT* have the problem with

GNU Emacs 20.7.4 (alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d, X toolkit) of Wed Feb 28 2001 on
gram

under suse linux, so I suppose it is i bug in the MS Windows specific code.

Best regards, Lars Hansen <larsh@math.ku.dk>

* Re: Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-12  5:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-06-12  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Lars Hansen wrote:

> Set scroll-margin to eg. 5. Press the down-key repeatedly (but slowly
> so you can see what happens). Then the window is supposed to scroll
> so that there are 5 rows from the cursor to the bottom of the window.
> But now and then there is no scroll, so that there is only 4 lines from
> the cursor to the bottom of the window! The next press of the down-key
> brings things back to normal. There are no long lines in the file, and
> and the behavoiur does not seem to be conneted to any specific points
> in a file.

Please post a minimal file that can be used to recreate this problem.
Thanks.

* Re: Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-12  6:19   ` Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2002-06-12  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> skrev i en meddelelse

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Lars Hansen wrote:
>
> > Set scroll-margin to eg. 5. Press the down-key repeatedly (but slowly
> > so you can see what happens). Then the window is supposed to scroll
> > so that there are 5 rows from the cursor to the bottom of the window.
> > But now and then there is no scroll, so that there is only 4 lines from
> > the cursor to the bottom of the window! The next press of the down-key
> > brings things back to normal. There are no long lines in the file, and
> > and the behavoiur does not seem to be conneted to any specific points
> > in a file.
>
> Please post a minimal file that can be used to recreate this problem.
> Thanks.

I se the problem in any file (with enough lines) e.g. abbrev.el from the
Emacs 21.2 package. But this morning I found out that the problem disappers
when I don't use any .emacs file. My .emacs file is very large, so I will
try to
make a minial one with which the problem is there. But that will take a
couple
of days...

* Re: Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-12  7:19     ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2002-06-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> I se the problem in any file (with enough lines) e.g. abbrev.el from
    Lars> the Emacs 21.2 package. But this morning I found out that the
    Lars> problem disappers when I don't use any .emacs file. My .emacs file
    Lars> is very large, so I will try to make a minial one with which the
    Lars> problem is there.

same here, my .emacs.el is also very large and some add-on package is
causing that recentering. Do you by any chance use mic-paren.el?
That could be the culprit. But then again I've been living with the
recenter 'feature' for more than 15 years now and though it still bothers
me every once in a while I'be learned to ignore it.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
Denn nicht sein kann, was nicht sein darf.  -- C. Morgenstern

* Re: Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-12 12:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-12 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Does this problem happen reliably, or is it random?
Can you tell us a way to reproduce it?

* Re: Scrolling: This must be a bug!
@ 2002-06-13  7:04       ` Lars Hansen
From: Lars Hansen @ 2002-06-13  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Klaus Zeitler" <kzeitler@lucent.com> wrote in
>     Lars>
>     Lars> I se the problem in any file (with enough lines) e.g. abbrev.el
from
>     Lars> the Emacs 21.2 package. But this morning I found out that the
>     Lars> problem disappers when I don't use any .emacs file. My .emacs
file
>     Lars> is very large, so I will try to make a minial one with which the
>     Lars> problem is there.
>     Lars>
> same here, my .emacs.el is also very large and some add-on package is
> causing that recentering. Do you by any chance use mic-paren.el?
> That could be the culprit. But then again I've been living with the
> recenter 'feature' for more than 15 years now and though it still bothers
> me every once in a while I'be learned to ignore it.

I do not use mic-paren.el. I think the features of that module is included
in paren.el
of Emacs 21.