all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inserting letter for words with initial letter sequence
@ 2022-08-11 23:19 carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
       [not found] ` <YvXun3appATcL+LL@protected.localdomain-N9FfPG---3-2>
From: carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-11 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

I would like to introduce the letter `k' for words with initial `cog', `col', `com', `con', `cor', `coun', and `cum' using an elisp command defined in my init file.
That is

"cognize" changed to "knize"
"collect" to "klect"
"corrupt" to "krupt"
"cumulatively" to "kulatively".

* Re: Inserting letter for words with initial letter sequence
@ 2022-08-12  6:09 ` Jean Louis
       [not found] ` <YvXun3appATcL+LL@protected.localdomain-N9FfPG---3-2>
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-08-12  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carlmarcos; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

* carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-08-12 02:21]:

> I would like to introduce the letter `k' for words with initial `cog', `col', `com', `con', `cor', `coun', and `cum' using an elisp command defined in my init file.
> That is
>
> "cognize" changed to "knize"
> "collect" to "klect"
> "corrupt" to "krupt"
> "cumulatively" to "kulatively".

Then just use Emacs' facility for abbrevs, and turn on
abbrev-mode, write "cognize⬛" and put cursor after word and use
`C-x a g' to add the abbrev interactively.

Programmatically, if you are to add it to `global-abbrev-table'
 then you do following:

(define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "cognize" "knize")
(define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "collect" "klect")

and do not forget to save abbrevs:

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

@ 2022-08-12  6:21   ` carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-12  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

Aug 12, 2022, 06:09 by bugs@gnu.support:

> * carlmarcos--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-08-12 02:21]:
>

>> I would like to introduce the letter `k' for words with initial `cog', `col', `com', `con', `cor', `coun', and `cum' using an elisp command defined in my init file.
>> That is
>>
>> "cognize" changed to "knize"
>> "collect" to "klect"
>> "corrupt" to "krupt"
>> "cumulatively" to "kulatively".
>>

> Then just use Emacs' facility for abbrevs, and turn on
> abbrev-mode, write "cognize⬛" and put cursor after word and use
> `C-x a g' to add the abbrev interactively.
>
> Programmatically, if you are to add it to `global-abbrev-table'
>  then you do following:
>
> (define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "cognize" "knize")
> (define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "collect" "klect")
>
> and do not forget to save abbrevs:

I cannot do all these defines for every word in the dictionary.  I need some way to look at a word
and decide whether `cog' exists and a replacement done to `k', and so on.