-- Sent with Tutanota, enjoy secure & ad-free emails. Jul 4, 2022, 11:42 by eliz@gnu.org: >> Cc: 56357@debbugs.gnu.org >> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen >> Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 13:01:20 +0200 >> >> carlmarcos@tutanota.com writes: >> >> > Suppose a user uses a 13 pt font size. Let there be some space >> > between the longest line in the buffer and the edge of the window. It >> > would be super if the font size could be automatically increased, such >> > that the difference between the longest line and the window size in >> > minimised. >> >> I think that sounds like a useful feature, and I'm kinda surprised that >> it doesn't exist yet. Or does it? Anybody know? >> >> To implement this, I guess the obvious thing would be to have a global >> minor mode that'd listen to frame size changes, and then adjust the font >> size up/down to reach the desired number of characters in a frame? So >> we'd have a user option font-size-adjust-target (defaulting to 80) >> and a font-size-adjust-mode? >> > > That's not what the feature request asked for, AFAIU: it wanted > dynamic resizing, and it wanted the size to depend on the "longest > line" (not clear if "longest in the window" or "longest in the > buffer"). > Correct, a dynamic resizing based on "longest in the buffer".  I would say that one would not want frequent resizing either.  Though I am not best to state how the dynamic resizing could get activated.  Then again there should be a limit of the size of the font for instances where the resizing would get too big for files with short lines. > With your proposal, how would you determine the target value? If it's > just an arbitrary value (80 sounds like an arbitrary one to me), then > the recently-added global-text-scale-adjust-resizes-frames variable > does the same, just from the other end: the user enlarges the font and > the frame follows suit. And since our default frame width is already > set for 80 characters, it sounds like we already have the feature you > envisioned, no? >