all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* persistent obarray?
@ 2005-12-26 22:36 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-12-26 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a large obarray (length 102701). To create it, I walk through a
(large) file of words, with many duplicates, interning each word traversed.
This takes 2-3 minutes. Currently, I create the obarrary when a given major
mode is entered for the first time.

I'm wondering if it would speed things up to write the completed obarray to
a Lisp file, and then read that file instead of creating the obarray as I do
now.

What are my options for doing that (to see if it is faster)? If I just write
the obarray, it will be read in as an ordinary vector, and, IIUC, that is
not a way to create an obarry (you must use intern). I could convert it to a
list, write that out, read it back in, and map intern over the list after
reading it. Is there another option?

Does it sound like this (write + read) would be worth trying? If so, is
there anything to be gained by byte-compiling the Lisp file? It would
contain only a list (or a setq or defvar with the list as value).

* RE: persistent obarray?
@ 2005-12-26 23:34 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-12-26 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

Well, I tried it (haven't tried byte-compiling yet). It's a _zillion_ times
faster. Unless someone sees a better way, this is what I'm doing now:

Write:

(with-temp-file "foo"
  (mapatoms (lambda (s) (push s my-list)) my-obarray)
  (pp my-list (current-buffer)))

Read:

(if (not (file-readable-p "foo"))
    (make-my-obarray)    ; Create obarray from scratch
  (let ((buf (find-file-noselect "foo" 'nowarn 'raw))
        (obarray my-obarray))
    (unwind-protect
         (setq my-list (read buf))
      (kill-buffer buf))))

* Re: persistent obarray?
       [not found] <mailman.20504.1135640183.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-29  4:01 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-29  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   (let ((obarray my-obarray))
>     (unwind-protect
>          (setq my-list (read buf))
>       (kill-buffer buf))))

The let-binding of obarray is the main trick, yes.