all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Opening speedbar in the same frame
@ 2005-09-10  2:11 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-09-10  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All:
1)Is it possible to open the speedbar in the same frame
  as the request?
2)If so, why is it the default to open the speedbar in its
  own frame?
3)A quick google on this subject did not answer the questions
  above, but I did find some references to Drew Andrews and
  "shrink wrapping" windows in a frame. such effects could be
  very useful in formatting a frame with the speedbar on the
  left or right and horizontally split windows.

Pointers/URLs to discussions, documentation etc. on any or all
of the questions is welcome.
Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* RE: Opening speedbar in the same frame
@ 2005-09-10  5:41 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-09-10  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    1)Is it possible to open the speedbar in the same frame
      as the request?
    2)If so, why is it the default to open the speedbar in its
      own frame?

I can't answer #1 or #2.

    3)A quick google on this subject did not answer the questions
      above, but I did find some references to Drew Andrews and
      "shrink wrapping" windows in a frame. such effects could be
      very useful in formatting a frame with the speedbar on the
      left or right and horizontally split windows.

My code to shrink-wrap frames resizes a frame to fit the selected window. It
does not resize windows within a frame, so it might not be what you're
looking for.

Generally, it is useful when you use only one Emacs window per frame. To do
that, set variable `pop-up-frames' to `t'. I prefer window-manager windows
(aka Emacs frames) to Emacs windows, but you may not.

The frame is resized to be wide enough that lines don't need to be wrapped,
but no wider than the widest line. Similarly, for height. You can set
maximum and minimum dimensions.

    Pointers/URLs to discussions, documentation etc. on any or all
    of the questions is welcome.

The shrink-wrapping code is in libraries fit-frame.el and autofit-frame.el,
available here:

1. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/fit-frame.el

2. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/autofit-frame.el

The first provides a command that you can use to fit (i.e. shrink-wrap) a
frame. The second makes Emacs automatically fit all one-window frames. The
second requires the first.

An explanation with screenshots is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Shrink-Wrapping_Frames.

HTH.

 - Drew

* Re: Opening speedbar in the same frame
@ 2005-09-11  3:05   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-09-11  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [050909 21:45]:
Hi Drew:
>     1)Is it possible to open the speedbar in the same frame
>       as the request?
>     2)If so, why is it the default to open the speedbar in its
>       own frame?
>
> I can't answer #1 or #2.

 :-) Must be a reason. Maybe even a good one. The tip in speedbar.el
     was to map a keystroke to 'speedbar-get-focus. Doing so, is a
     great help.

<...>
> My code to shrink-wrap frames resizes a frame to fit the selected window. It
> does not resize windows within a frame, so it might not be what you're
> looking for.
>
> Generally, it is useful when you use only one Emacs window per frame. To do
> that, set variable `pop-up-frames' to `t'. I prefer window-manager windows
> (aka Emacs frames) to Emacs windows, but you may not.
>
> The frame is resized to be wide enough that lines don't need to be wrapped,
> but no wider than the widest line. Similarly, for height. You can set
> maximum and minimum dimensions.
>
>     Pointers/URLs to discussions, documentation etc. on any or all
>     of the questions is welcome.
>
> The shrink-wrapping code is in libraries fit-frame.el and autofit-frame.el,
> available here:
>
> 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/fit-frame.el
>
> 2. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/autofit-frame.el
>
> The first provides a command that you can use to fit (i.e. shrink-wrap) a
> frame. The second makes Emacs automatically fit all one-window frames. The
> second requires the first.
>
> An explanation with screenshots is here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Shrink-Wrapping_Frames.
>
> HTH.

   Well, shrink wrapping *is not* what I was looking for, but
   it *will* prove to be very useful. (serendipity!)
   Thanks for pointing me that way.

   Cheers
   tim

--