all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Background colour customization
@ 2005-01-24 17:57 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-01-24 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I downloaded and installed Emacs CVS,
and it came up all white, whereas I like that dark smart green
with which Emacs opens up, i.e.,
from Mandrake default installation.
Can anyone suggest how to customize that?
'M-x list-display-colors' didn't help:
I couldn't find the colour I wanted over there,
and even if I had found it I don't know how to set it by default.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it

* Re: Background colour customization
@ 2005-01-24 19:23 ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-01-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

romeomedina@libero.it escribe:
> Recently I downloaded and installed Emacs CVS,
> and it came up all white, whereas I like that dark smart green
> with which Emacs opens up, i.e.,
> from Mandrake default installation.
> Can anyone suggest how to customize that?
> 'M-x list-display-colors' didn't help:
> I couldn't find the colour I wanted over there,
> and even if I had found it I don't know how to set it by default.

For a ``Mandraky'' look I use:

(defvar current-background "DarkSlateGray")
(defvar current-cursor "Orchid")
(defvar current-foreground "Wheat")

(set-background-color current-background)
(set-cursor-color current-cursor)
(set-foreground-color current-foreground)

(set-default-font current-font)
(setq default-frame-alist
      (list
       (cons 'font current-font)
       (cons 'background-color current-background)
       (cons 'cursor-color current-cursor)
       (cons 'foreground-color current-foreground)))

(setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)

Cordially, Ismael

* RE: Background colour customization
@ 2005-01-24 19:34 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-01-24 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Recently I downloaded and installed Emacs CVS,
    and it came up all white, whereas I like that dark smart green
    with which Emacs opens up, i.e., from Mandrake default installation.
    Can anyone suggest how to customize that?
    'M-x list-display-colors' didn't help:
    I couldn't find the colour I wanted over there,
    and even if I had found it I don't know how to set it by default.

You can easily choose any color you like using command `doremi-bg' in
library `doremi-frm.el', here: http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/doremi-frm.el.
You can use the arrow keys or mouse wheel to increment/decrement the red,
green, blue, hue, saturation, and value color components - the background
changes as you do this.

Additional explanation is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DoReMi.

After you choose the background color you want, you can save it using
Customize, so it will be used in future Emacs sessions.

HTH,

  Drew

* Re: Background colour customization
       [not found] <mailman.14956.1106591227.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-25  9:14 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-01-25  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

"romeomedina\@libero\.it" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

> Recently I downloaded and installed Emacs CVS, and it came up all
> white, whereas I like that dark smart green with which Emacs opens
> up, i.e.,
 from Mandrake default installation.  Can anyone suggest
> how to customize that?  'M-x list-display-colors' didn't help: I
> couldn't find the colour I wanted over there, and even if I had
> found it I don't know how to set it by default.

Not exactly answering your question, but if you didn't know about it
before, you might want to check out color-theme.el, found here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?ColorTheme

Maybe there you will find a theme that suits your taste.

/Mathias

* Re: Background colour customization
@ 2005-02-21 17:38 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-02-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> For a ``Mandraky'' look I use:
>
> (defvar current-background "DarkSlateGray")
> (defvar current-cursor "Orchid")
> (defvar current-foreground "Wheat")
>
> (set-background-color current-background)
> (set-cursor-color current-cursor)
> (set-foreground-color current-foreground)
>
> (set-default-font current-font)
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       (list
>        (cons 'font current-font)
>        (cons 'background-color current-background)
>        (cons 'cursor-color current-cursor)
>        (cons 'foreground-color current-foreground)))
>
> (setq initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)

Thanks indeed, it's exactly what I wanted!
Many thanks to Drew Adams and Mathias Dahl also,
who kindly replied.

Cheers,
Rodolfo