all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-13 23:04 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-13 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:
I'm looking for a stand-lone (not dependent on cygwin) version
of ispell.exe that will work on windows xp. Is there such a file?
thanks
tim

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-13 23:23 ` Brian Elmegaard
From: Brian Elmegaard @ 2005-03-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> I'm looking for a stand-lone (not dependent on cygwin) version
> of ispell.exe that will work on windows xp. Is there such a file?

The best one I know is located here:
http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/aftp/pub/ptex/utils/ispell-3.2.06-w32.tar.gz

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be/be.html

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-14  0:09   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-14  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Elmegaard wrote:

> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:
>

>>I'm looking for a stand-lone (not dependent on cygwin) version
>>of ispell.exe that will work on windows xp. Is there such a file?
>

> The best one I know is located here:
> http://www.fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp/aftp/pub/ptex/utils/ispell-3.2.06-w32.tar.gz
Thanks Brian.
I downloaded it. Set the path to ispell.exe as
'ispell-program-name, but (x)emacs complains that it can't find
c:/usr/local/lib/english.hash. Dictionary path is set as:
(setq ispell-dictionary
"C:\\downloads\\ispell\\ispell-w32\\dic\\english.hash")

Do you see what I'm doing wrong here? I'm sure there's an info
node there somewhere ......

regards
tim

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-14  0:31     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-14  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.03.2005 um 01:09 schrieb Tim Johnson:

> Do you see what I'm doing wrong here?

Can it be that you don't have any dictionary on board? Take a look at
Geoff Kuenning's home page:
http://fmg-www.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/ispell.html

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-14 13:23     ` Akira Kakuto
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2005-03-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tim Johnson" <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote in message
> Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> I downloaded it. Set the path to ispell.exe as
> 'ispell-program-name, but (x)emacs complains that it can't find
> c:/usr/local/lib/english.hash. Dictionary path is set as:
> (setq ispell-dictionary
> "C:\\downloads\\ispell\\ispell-w32\\dic\\english.hash")
>
> Do you see what I'm doing wrong here? I'm sure there's an info
> node there somewhere ......

Please define an environment variable ISPELLDICTDIR with
a value c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic :
ISPELLDICTDIR=c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-14 18:01       ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-03-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Akira Kakuto wrote:

> "Tim Johnson" <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote in message
>
>> Brian Elmegaard wrote:
>> I downloaded it. Set the path to ispell.exe as
>> 'ispell-program-name, but (x)emacs complains that it can't find
>> c:/usr/local/lib/english.hash. Dictionary path is set as:
>> (setq ispell-dictionary
>> "C:\\downloads\\ispell\\ispell-w32\\dic\\english.hash")
>>
>> Do you see what I'm doing wrong here? I'm sure there's an info
>> node there somewhere ......
>

> Please define an environment variable ISPELLDICTDIR with
> a value c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic :
> ISPELLDICTDIR=c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic
Thank you Akira:

That was what I needed. Now ispell works.
I must ask one more question while I am at it, since I mostly work on linux.

Am I correct in assuming that on linux, I will set the same environment
variable to the path to the ispell dictionary?

Regards
Tim

* Re: ispell for windows xp
@ 2005-03-14 21:14         ` Akira Kakuto
From: Akira Kakuto @ 2005-03-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Please define an environment variable ISPELLDICTDIR with
>> a value c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic :
>> ISPELLDICTDIR=c:/downloads/ispell/ispell-w32/dic
> Thank you Akira:
>
> That was what I needed. Now ispell works.
> I must ask one more question while I am at it, since I mostly work on linux.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that on linux, I will set the same environment
> variable to the path to the ispell dictionary?

No it is not correct. That variable is not used in usual version.
DICTIONARY (full path to the default dictionary) can be used
in all versions:
DICTIONARY=/usr/share/ispell/english.hash