all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#36918: 26.2.90; calendar: the chinese sexagesimal name for month is wrong
@ 2019-08-04  7:23 Zhang Haijun
       [not found] ` <handler.36918.B.15649034527390.ack@debbugs.gnu.org>
From: Zhang Haijun @ 2019-08-04  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 36918

In GNU Emacs 26.2.90 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS appkit-1561.60 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G7024))
 of 2019-06-15 built on jundeMac
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Computing Chinese date...
Chinese date: Cycle 78, year 36 (Ji-Hai), month 7 (Ren-Shen), day 4 (Gui-You)

———————————————————————

The sexagesimal name for month today should be Xin-Wei not Ren-Shen. It will becomes Ren-Shen after 4 days(on 8/8. which is the beginning of autumn). As far as I known, It always changes at the monment when the ecliptic longitude is 15, 45, 75 … (for every 30 degrees).

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules --disable-acl
 --without-makeinfo 'CC=cc ' CFLAGS=-O2
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/Users/jun/source/build-emacs-master/brew/lib/pkgconfig:'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS
LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cal-china lunar solar cal-dst
cal-move cal-menu easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs elec-pair time-date
china-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 214033 11356)
 (symbols 48 20927 1)
 (miscs 40 375 268)
 (strings 32 30830 2371)
 (string-bytes 1 854532)
 (vectors 16 36310)
 (vector-slots 8 789560 10922)
 (floats 8 571 100)
 (intervals 56 489 50)
 (buffers 992 12))

* bug#36918: Acknowledgement (26.2.90; calendar: the chinese sexagesimal name for month is wrong)
       [not found] ` <handler.36918.B.15649034527390.ack@debbugs.gnu.org>
@ 2019-08-04  7:32   ` Zhang Haijun
From: Zhang Haijun @ 2019-08-04  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 36918@debbugs.gnu.org

Reproduction steps:
1. emacs -Q
2. M-x calendar
3. p C
4. It will print the chinese date at the echo area.

The sexagesimal name for month today(4/8/2019) should be Xin-Wei not Ren-Shen. It will becomes Ren-Shen on 8/8/2019.

@ 2019-08-04 21:24 ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2019-08-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Haijun; +Cc: 36918

Zhang Haijun <ccsmile2008@outlook.com> writes:

> The sexagesimal name for month today should be Xin-Wei not
> Ren-Shen. It will becomes Ren-Shen after 4 days(on 8/8. which is the
> beginning of autumn). As far as I known, It always changes at the
> monment when the ecliptic longitude is 15, 45, 75 … (for every 30
> degrees).

Sorry, I am not very familiar with either the Chinese calendar or the
Calendar app, but I think the following points might be of interest.

The cal-china.el package contains the following disclaimer in its
commentary:

  The rules used for the Chinese calendar are those of Baolin Liu
  (see L. E. Doggett's article "Calendars" in the Explanatory
  Supplement to the Astronomical Almanac, second edition, 1992) for
  the calendar as revised at the beginning of the Qing dynasty in
  1644.  The nature of the astronomical calculations is such that
  precise calculations cannot be made without great expense in time,
  so that the calendars produced may not agree perfectly with
  published tables--but no two pairs of published tables agree
  perfectly either!  Liu's rules produce a calendar for 2033 which is
  not accepted by all authorities.  The date of Chinese New Year is
  correct from 1644-2051.

p C (calendar-chinese-print-date) describes 2019-08-05 as follows:

  Cycle 78, year 36 (Ji-Hai), month 7 (Ren-Shen), day 5 (Jia-Xu)

and a quick online search revealed two websites[1][2] which give a
similar description:

  Ji Hai Year (4717), Ren Shen Month (7), Jia Xu Day (5)

[1]: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/focus/calendar.htm
[2]: https://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/chinese-year-converter.php

So to an ignorant person like me, there is nothing obviously wrong with
Emacs' calculations.  Perhaps someone else can shine some more light on
this.

Basil

* bug#36918: 26.2.90; calendar: the chinese sexagesimal name for month is wrong
@ 2019-08-05  1:53   ` Zhang Haijun
From: Zhang Haijun @ 2019-08-05  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: 36918@debbugs.gnu.org

> p C (calendar-chinese-print-date) describes 2019-08-05 as follows:
>
>  Cycle 78, year 36 (Ji-Hai), month 7 (Ren-Shen), day 5 (Jia-Xu)
>
> and a quick online search revealed two websites[1][2] which give a
> similar description:
>
>  Ji Hai Year (4717), Ren Shen Month (7), Jia Xu Day (5)
>
> [1]: https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/focus/calendar.htm

At the tail of the article in this page(https://www.travelchinaguide.com/intro/astrology/60year-cycle.htm), it says:

 * The Gregorian year is approximate here. The accurate division is the Beginning of Spring (first of the 24 Solar Terms), although some online calendars adopt Chinese New Year as the division.

It mentions two division methods. The former is right (at the moment the ecliptic longitude is 315°). It differs too much with the latter(the first day of the first month), maybe saveral days like in this month(8 days).

> [2]: https://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/chinese-year-converter.php

The result in this page shows the month is Xin-Wei which is right:

https://www.prokerala.com/general/calendar/chinesecalendar.php

There are two seperated systems (or two calendars) in Chinese calendar. One of them is the 60-Year Cycle, which is the topic of this thread. It is standalone with the rest of Chinese calendar. It is a solar calendar. It is fully based on the 24 Solar Terms and has no relation with the rest of Chinese calendar. It is not commonly used. It is mainly used for scrying.