all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing visuals of code in emacs
@ 2008-10-12 20:11 Andrei Alexandrescu
From: Andrei Alexandrescu @ 2008-10-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'd like to change code visuals for the D programming language as
follows. I'd like the construct:

Symbol!(balanced_parens)

to be visualized as:

Symbol«balanced_parens»

The chevrons should appear electrically when I type the closing ")".
Note that balanced_parens could in turn nested use of "!()", as in
A!(B!(C)), and they should all be paired using chevrons. The underlying
file should not contain the chevrons, just the ASCII representation
using "!(" and ")".

I haven't done much elisp programming beyond the common .emacs
configuration tricks, so I don't know where to start. A few searches
suggested that overlays may be what I'm looking for... any ideas and
pointers? Thank you.

Andrei

* Re: changing visuals of code in emacs
@ 2008-10-12 20:48 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2008-10-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> writes:

> Hello,
>

> I'd like to change code visuals for the D programming language as
> follows. I'd like the construct:
>
> Symbol!(balanced_parens)
>
> to be visualized as:
>
> Symbol«balanced_parens»
>
> The chevrons should appear electrically when I type the closing
> ")". Note that balanced_parens could in turn nested use of "!()", as
> in A!(B!(C)), and they should all be paired using chevrons. The
> underlying file should not contain the chevrons, just the ASCII
> representation using "!(" and ")".
>
> I haven't done much elisp programming beyond the common .emacs
> configuration tricks, so I don't know where to start. A few searches
> suggested that overlays may be what I'm looking for... any ideas and
> pointers? Thank you.

If you didn't ask for recursion, this could have be done with
font-locking.

(font-lock-add-keywords nil
  '(("\\(!(\\)[^()]*\\()\\)"
     0 (progn
         (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
         (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
         nil))))

But since this uses regular expressions, it won't work for recursive
!(...).

You can still use compose-region, but you'll have to implement the
parsing yourself.  Perhaps this could be hooked on the code doing the
parenthesis balancing?

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.

* Re: changing visuals of code in emacs
@ 2008-10-12 21:06   ` Andrei Alexandrescu
From: Andrei Alexandrescu @ 2008-10-12 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I'd like to change code visuals for the D programming language as
>> follows. I'd like the construct:
>>
>> Symbol!(balanced_parens)
>>
>> to be visualized as:
>>
>> Symbol«balanced_parens»
>>
>> The chevrons should appear electrically when I type the closing
>> ")". Note that balanced_parens could in turn nested use of "!()", as
>> in A!(B!(C)), and they should all be paired using chevrons. The
>> underlying file should not contain the chevrons, just the ASCII
>> representation using "!(" and ")".
>>
>> I haven't done much elisp programming beyond the common .emacs
>> configuration tricks, so I don't know where to start. A few searches
>> suggested that overlays may be what I'm looking for... any ideas and
>> pointers? Thank you.
>
> If you didn't ask for recursion, this could have be done with
> font-locking.
>
> (font-lock-add-keywords nil
>   '(("\\(!(\\)[^()]*\\()\\)"
>      0 (progn
>          (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
>          (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
>          nil))))
>
> But since this uses regular expressions, it won't work for recursive
> !(...).
>

> You can still use compose-region, but you'll have to implement the
> parsing yourself.  Perhaps this could be hooked on the code doing the
> parenthesis balancing?

I think I'd be happy with a nonrecursive region to get my feet wet. How
do I use your font-lock-add-keywords code? I added it to both my .emacs
and my d-mode.el file, to no avail.

@ 2008-10-12 21:44     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2008-10-12 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I'd like to change code visuals for the D programming language as
>>> follows. I'd like the construct:
>>>
>>> Symbol!(balanced_parens)
>>>
>>> to be visualized as:
>>>
>>> Symbol«balanced_parens»
>>>
>>> The chevrons should appear electrically when I type the closing
>>> ")". Note that balanced_parens could in turn nested use of "!()", as
>>> in A!(B!(C)), and they should all be paired using chevrons. The
>>> underlying file should not contain the chevrons, just the ASCII
>>> representation using "!(" and ")".
>>>
>>> I haven't done much elisp programming beyond the common .emacs
>>> configuration tricks, so I don't know where to start. A few searches
>>> suggested that overlays may be what I'm looking for... any ideas and
>>> pointers? Thank you.
>> If you didn't ask for recursion, this could have be done with
>> font-locking.
>> (font-lock-add-keywords nil
>>   '(("\\(!(\\)[^()]*\\()\\)"      0 (progn
>>          (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
>>          (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
>>          nil))))
>> But since this uses regular expressions, it won't work for recursive
>> !(...).
>> You can still use compose-region, but you'll have to implement the
>> parsing yourself.  Perhaps this could be hooked on the code doing the
>> parenthesis balancing?
>
> I think I'd be happy with a nonrecursive region to get my feet
> wet. How do I use your font-lock-add-keywords code? I added it to both
> my .emacs and my d-mode.el file, to no avail.

You could run it from a d-mode-hook if it exists, ensuring that
font-lock-mode is enabled.

(add-hook 'd-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (font-lock-add-keywords nil
              '(("\\(!(\\)[^()]*\\()\\)"      0 (progn
                     (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
                     (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
                     nil))))
            (font-lock-mode 1)))

Pour moi, la grande question n'a jamais été: «Qui suis-je? Où vais-je?»
comme l'a formulé si adroitement notre ami Pascal, mais plutôt:
«Comment vais-je m'en tirer?» -- Jean Yanne

* Re: changing visuals of code in emacs
@ 2008-10-12 22:18       ` Andrei Alexandrescu
From: Andrei Alexandrescu @ 2008-10-12 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> writes:
>
>> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

>>> If you didn't ask for recursion, this could have be done with
>>> font-locking.
>>> (font-lock-add-keywords nil
>>>   '(("\\(!(\\)[^()]*\\()\\)"      0 (progn
>>>          (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
>>>          (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
>>>          nil))))
>>> But since this uses regular expressions, it won't work for recursive
>>> !(...).
>>> You can still use compose-region, but you'll have to implement the
>>> parsing yourself.  Perhaps this could be hooked on the code doing the
>>> parenthesis balancing?
>> I think I'd be happy with a nonrecursive region to get my feet
>> wet. How do I use your font-lock-add-keywords code? I added it to both
>> my .emacs and my d-mode.el file, to no avail.
>
> You could run it from a d-mode-hook if it exists, ensuring that
> font-lock-mode is enabled.
>
> (add-hook 'd-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (font-lock-add-keywords nil
>                      (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) ?« 'decompose-region)
>                      (compose-region (match-beginning 2) (match-end 2) ?» 'decompose-region)
>                      nil))))
>             (font-lock-mode 1)))

Thanks! I got that working. It ought to get me started.

Regards,

Andrei