all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-20  7:44 emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-20  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I can stash the whole working directory with vc-git-stash, but what if I want to stash changes of the current file only?

Does VC support this?

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-20 11:45 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-04-20 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: emacsq

emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

Hi,

> I can stash the whole working directory with vc-git-stash, but what if I want to stash changes of the current file only?
>
> Does VC support this?

Yes. In a vc-dir buffer, mark this(these) file(s) and stash then via "z C".

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-20 12:16   ` emacsq
From: emacsq @ 2022-04-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> Yes. In a vc-dir buffer, mark this(these) file(s) and stash then via "z C".

z  is undefined for me in emacs stable, so it must be a 29 development, but thanks anyway.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-20 14:03     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2022-04-20 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsq; +Cc: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

emacsq <laszlomail@protonmail.com> writes:

Hi,

>> Yes. In a vc-dir buffer, mark this(these) file(s) and stash then via "z C".
>
> z  is undefined for me in emacs stable, so it must be a 29 development, but thanks anyway.

Indeed. But you can use the VC-Dir menue.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-20 14:26       ` emacsq
From: emacsq @ 2022-04-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> Indeed. But you can use the VC-Dir menue.

I checked the VC-Dir left mouse context menu. No stash there.

Then I checked the menu bar menu which I usually don't see,
because I always have the menu bar off, and I can see it there.

I wonder why the stash commands are not on the context menu,
considering that if one wants to stash a single file or
the marked files then it's logical to use the context menu for it.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-21  6:34         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2022-04-21  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsq; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I checked the VC-Dir left mouse context menu. No stash there.
>
> Then I checked the menu bar menu which I usually don't see,
> because I always have the menu bar off, and I can see it there.
>
> I wonder why the stash commands are not on the context menu,
> considering that if one wants to stash a single file or
> the marked files then it's logical to use the context menu for it.

The stash commands are on the context menu
when you enable context-menu-mode in Emacs 28.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-21  7:03           ` emacsq
From: emacsq @ 2022-04-21  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> The stash commands are on the context menu
> when you enable context-menu-mode in Emacs 28.

Great, thanks!

Is there a reason why this is not the default? If the user
invokes a context menu then he expects context-related
things on this menu, doesn't he?

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-21  7:17             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2022-04-21  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacsq; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> The stash commands are on the context menu
>> when you enable context-menu-mode in Emacs 28.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> Is there a reason why this is not the default? If the user
> invokes a context menu then he expects context-related
> things on this menu, doesn't he?

This means enabling context menus globally by default.

* Re: Can VC stash a single file?
@ 2022-04-21  7:43               ` emacsq
From: emacsq @ 2022-04-21  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> This means enabling context menus globally by default.

Yes. Shouldn't context-related items be on context menus
by default? Isn't this what context menus are for?

E.g. Shift-F10 runs the command context-menu-open. If I press
this then I expect to see a context menu containing
context-related items.

Why does the user have to manually enable a mode just to
see context-related items on a menu, which is called
context-menu?