all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tip of the day: buffer navigation with global mark
@ 2003-04-05 20:39 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is well known that you can do C-SPC at various spots in a buffer,
and subsequently, C-u C-SPC takes you back.  (Repeat to go further
back.)  Kinda like the web browser history.

But it is less well known, I think, that the global mark ring exists
and can be navigated in a similar manner.  If the previous mark was
set in another buffer, C-SPC also pushes mark on the global mark
ring.  This can be used with C-x C-@ to jump back to it.

So you can do C-SPC, then go to another buffer and do stuff.  Then
later on, C-x C-@ will go back to the original buffer.

It might land you in the wrong spot, though.  But C-u C-SPC will cure
that.

* Re: Tip of the day: buffer navigation with global mark
@ 2003-04-06 10:43 ` maierh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: maierh @ 2003-04-06 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tip of the day" a nice service:).
Harald

* Re: Tip of the day: buffer navigation with global mark
@ 2003-04-06 15:12 ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2003-04-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> later on, C-x C-@ will go back to the original buffer.

And if C-@ is a bit hard to type, C-x C-SPC has the same binding :)

DG                                 http://gnufans.net/

* Re: Tip of the day: buffer navigation with global mark
@ 2003-04-06 15:51 ` Bruce Ingalls
From: Bruce Ingalls @ 2003-04-06 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like these Tip Of The Days. I hope they outlast the Package Of the Week
http://varnam.org/ (not much left)
I look at many of these tips as a shortcoming in usability. Such is to be
expected in a powerful system, such as Emacs.

For example, if these bookmarks are really useful, it would be nice to put
them into a submenu, with keystrokes displayed, which make it easier to
learn them.
I would put the history of the last 8 in the menu, and these would display
the line number, and the 10 chars following the bookmark.

Here are some other suggestions:
You might consider beginner & expert levels of Tip of the Day.
For example, I do
C-u 3 C-k
C-y
C-y
all the time to copy 3 lines, but you'd be surprised at how many, even long
term Emacs users, don't know this one.

Here's a better suggestion:
Create a tips splash screen, that users can defcustom().
It might explain to users, how they can use customize() to turn it off.
It might also explain, that when it runs out of tips in the local
package, that
it goes out to the web for more, and how they can disable that feature.

This is where *beginner* tips would come in handy; they'd likely bore our
gnu.emacs.help audience.

Kai Großjohann wrote:
> It is well known that you can do C-SPC at various spots in a buffer,
> and subsequently, C-u C-SPC takes you back.  (Repeat to go further
> back.)  Kinda like the web browser history.
>
> But it is less well known, I think, that the global mark ring exists
> and can be navigated in a similar manner.  If the previous mark was
> set in another buffer, C-SPC also pushes mark on the global mark
> ring.  This can be used with C-x C-@ to jump back to it.
>
> So you can do C-SPC, then go to another buffer and do stuff.  Then
> later on, C-x C-@ will go back to the original buffer.
>
> It might land you in the wrong spot, though.  But C-u C-SPC will cure
> that.

* Re: Tip of the day
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-07 15:35 ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-04-07 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)

Kai, I like your tips.

Hope we'll see more of them,
Robert

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 17:00   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>
> Kai, I like your tips.

I've been collecting them; maybe the splash screen thing can be
implemented someday.

* Re: Tip of the day: buffer navigation with global mark
@ 2003-04-07 17:17   ` John Russell
From: John Russell @ 2003-04-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Ingalls <bingalls@CUT-this-SPAM-BLOCK.fit-zones.com> writes:

> Here are some other suggestions:
> You might consider beginner & expert levels of Tip of the Day.
> For example, I do
> C-u 3 C-k
> C-y
> C-y
> all the time to copy 3 lines, but you'd be surprised at how many, even long
> term Emacs users, don't know this one.

How about this:

(defun duplicate-line (&optional where)
  "Duplicate the line containing point."
  (interactive "d")
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-line)
    (let ((beg (point)))
      (end-of-line)
      (copy-region-as-kill beg (point)))
    (end-of-line)
    (if (eobp)
	(insert ?\n)
      (forward-line))
    (open-line 1)
    (yank)))

(define-key global-map [?whatever] 'duplicate-line)

John

PS Lifted this from some unknown .emacs file on the web,
but I use it constantly.

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 18:47   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-07 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>
> Kai, I like your tips.

His fingertips?

> Hope we'll see more of them,

You want his arm?

* Re: Tip of the day
@ 2003-04-07 19:28     ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2003-04-07 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:
>
>> I gave her my finger, but she wanted my arm...  ;-)
>>
>> Kai, I like your tips.
>
> His fingertips?
>
>> Hope we'll see more of them,
>
> You want his arm?

I'd prefer his brains
and his ability to help so many people all over the world :-)

Robert