all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-20 21:28 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-02-20 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In order to read with Gnus that kind of mails
such as Internet adverts (is that HTML mails?),
I was suggested to install w3m-el (an interface of w3m).
After some difficulties I managed to get the installation up to end,
but still can't read HTML mails via gnus.
What am I missing?
Here are the steps I followed:

from http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
I downloaded the package gc.tar.gz
and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
# urpmi gcc
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf gc.tar.gz
$ cd gc6.3
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make check
# make install

. I downloaded the package openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz
and copied into my ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz
$ cd openssl-0.9.7e
$ ./config
$ make
$ make test
# make install

. From http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w3m/
I downloaded the package w3m-0.5.1.tar.gz
and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ export LDFLAGS="-Xlinker -R/usr/local/lib"
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf w3m-0.5.1.tar.gz
$ cd w3m-0.5.1
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

. From http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org I downloaded the package
emacs-w3m-1.4.3.tar.gz and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf emacs-w3m-1.4.3.tar.gz
$ cd emacs-w3m-1.4.3
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

. I was suggested to put in my .gnus.el the line:
(setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
, which I did. Besides, in the README file
which is in the emacs-w3m release it is suggested
to put in .emacs the line:
(require 'w3m-load)
. I did so, but when starting Emacs I got the following error message:

An error has occurred while loading `/home/rodolfo/.emacs':

File error: "Cannot open load file", "w3m-load"

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
backtrace

. Then I canceled that line from .emacs,
but the HTML mails I get via gnus still cannot be viewed.
Can anyone from this list provide help?

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-20 23:12 ` Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2005-02-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

> from http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
> I downloaded the package gc.tar.gz
> and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
Ugh... what are you using? LFS? :)

> An error has occurred while loading `/home/rodolfo/.emacs':
>
> File error: "Cannot open load file", "w3m-load"

It seems, emacs won't find your emacs-w3m package.  Did you install
emacs from a package from your vendor?  Then it probably got into /usr
and emacs-w3m went to /usr/local ... although my auctex is in my
load-path (albeit being in /usr/local).  So, could you post your
`load-path' variable (C-h v load-path RET) and the installation
directory of emacs-w3m?

bye, Adam.

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-21 17:02 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-02-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck wrote:

> Ugh... what are you using? LFS? :)

No, Mandrake 10.1 Community. Why?...

Rodolfo:

> . I was suggested to put in my .gnus.el the line:
> (setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
> , which I did. Besides, in the README file
> which is in the emacs-w3m release it is suggested
> to put in .emacs the line:
> (require 'w3m-load)
> . I did so, but when starting Emacs I got the following error message:

> An error has occurred while loading `/home/rodolfo/.emacs':
>
> File error: "Cannot open load file", "w3m-load"
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
> of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
> Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
> backtrace
>
> . Then I canceled that line from .emacs,
> but the HTML mails I get via gnus still cannot be viewed.

Adam:

> It seems, emacs won't find your emacs-w3m package.  Did you install
> emacs from a package from your vendor?  Then it probably got into /usr
> and emacs-w3m went to /usr/local ... although my auctex is in my
> load-path (albeit being in /usr/local).  So, could you post your
> `load-path' variable (C-h v load-path RET) and the installation
> directory of emacs-w3m?

Thanks, Adam.

This is the output of 'C-h v load-path RET':

---
load-path's value is
("/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/Mule-UCS-current"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/site-lisp" "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/leim" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/toolbar" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/textmodes"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/progmodes" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/play"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/obsolete" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/net"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/mail" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/language"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/international" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/gnus"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/eshell" "/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/emulation"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/emacs-lisp"
"/usr/share/emacs/21.3/lisp/calendar")

Documentation:
*List of directories to search for files to load.
Each element is a string (directory name) or nil (try default directory).
Initialized based on EMACSLOADPATH environment variable, if any,
otherwise to default specified by file `epaths.h' when Emacs was built.
-------

I searched the file w3m-load.el and found it in the directory
'/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m'. Then I put in my .emacs the lines:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m"))
(require 'w3m-load)

and the above error message didn't appear any more.
But still, I can't view html images within gnus
(as I said above, I put in my .gnus.el the line:

	(setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

). Any other suggestion?

Thanks,

       [not found] <mailman.921.1109006604.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-21 17:44 ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2005-02-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

>> Here are the steps I followed:
>> [...]
>> from http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
>> I downloaded the package gc.tar.gz
>> and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
>

> Adam Duck wrote:
>
>> Ugh... what are you using? LFS? :)
>

> No, Mandrake 10.1 Community. Why?...

Yeah, why?  ;)

--
Billy O'Connor
Editor, LFS/BLFS

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-22 17:23   ` Adam Duck
From: Adam Duck @ 2005-02-22 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

> No, Mandrake 10.1 Community. Why?...

Because every Linux vendor has a gcc-package... you don't need to
compile it from scratch (except for LFS and gentoo :) ).

> I searched the file w3m-load.el and found it in the directory
> '/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m'. Then I put in my .emacs the lines:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m"))
> (require 'w3m-load)

Yep, that's the correct way.

> and the above error message didn't appear any more.
> But still, I can't view html images within gnus
> (as I said above, I put in my .gnus.el the line:
>
> 	(setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

html images?  Do you mean images inside html?  This should work with
emacs-w3m -- except that you may need to tell this to w3m explicitly:
`w3m-default-display-inline-images' or press 'T' after it has started.
If you mean multipart/mime, then you have to go a different way --
this isn't handled through w3m.  Also, gnus does like text/plain more
than text/html. So if an email contains both, you should think about
that, too.

bye, Adam.

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-23 17:56 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-02-23 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Duck wrote:

> html images? Do you mean images inside html?

Yeah, I think so: that kind of mails such internet adverts and so...

Adam:

> This should work with emacs-w3m -- except that you may need
> to tell this to w3m explicitly:
> `w3m-default-display-inline-images'

I tried and put in my .gnus the line:
(w3m-default-display-inline-images)
, but got the error message:

Error in ~/.gnus: (void-function w3m-default-display-inline-images)

. Also, I put in .gnus the following:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)

, with no result either. In my .emacs there's still:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m"))
(require 'w3m-load)

Do you have any other suggestion?
I'm quite stuck: even from emacs-w3m mailing list I didn't get any
help in this concern up to now.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2005-02-25 15:52 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-02-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick wrote:

> w3m-default-display-inline-images is a variable, not a function,
> so you just need to set it:
>
>    (setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
>
> will set its value to t.

Thanks, Adam, thanks, Nick.
I put in my .gnus.el the line:
(setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
but STILL can't view html images with gnus.
I didn't think it'd be so difficult!
In my .gnus there's also:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
(setq mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)

, and in my .emacs there is:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m"))
(require 'w3m-load)
(require 'w3m-image)

. I also tried with:

(setq mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp nil)

in .gnus, but nothing of nothing. I'm almost desperate.

@ 2005-02-26 12:38 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-02-26 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick wrote:

> You may have to set the variable 'w3m-default-display-inline-images'
> in a hook - try setting it in the w3m init file:
>
>      ~/.emacs-w3m
>
> I just tried this and it works for me.

Thanks, Nick.
I created the file ~/.emacs-w3m and put in it the line:
(setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
, but it didn't help. :(

Nick:

> In any case, if I do M-x w3m, I can then toggle inline images with
> T. Does that work for you? Pressing T changes the display of the
> emacs-w3m link in the welcome message.

*Where* do you do 'M-x w3m'? Before 'M-x gnus' or after?
*Where* do you do 'T'? In gnus's Group buffer?
I tried and did 'M-x w3m' and 'T' everywhere,
but still can't view html images with gnus!
Any other suggestion?

Rodolfo

Navighi a 2 MEGA e i primi 3 mesi sono GRATIS.
Scegli Libero Adsl Flat senza limiti su http://www.libero.it

* Re: Reading HTML mails with gnus
@ 2006-08-18 13:58   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2006-08-18 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)