all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* clearcase mode and changing task
@ 2004-11-05 14:52 Dan Elliott
From: Dan Elliott @ 2004-11-05 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Is there a way to change my current task while within emacs when using the
clearcase mode?  I am guessing this would be difficult since it spawns a new
shell.

Thank you,

Dan

* Re: clearcase mode and changing task
@ 2004-11-08  3:50 ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2004-11-08  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Dan Elliott wrote:

> Is there a way to change my current task while within emacs when
> using the clearcase mode?  I am guessing this would be difficult
> since it spawns a new shell.

Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly do you mean by "change my
current task"?  Is that a ClearCase term?

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: clearcase mode and changing task
@ 2004-11-08 16:52   ` Dan Elliott
From: Dan Elliott @ 2004-11-08 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Dan Elliott wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to change my current task while within emacs when
> > using the clearcase mode?  I am guessing this would be difficult
> > since it spawns a new shell.
>
> Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly do you mean by "change my
> current task"?  Is that a ClearCase term?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> joe
> Joe Casadonte
> jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

----
>          Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
>    Gay Media Resource List =>
http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
>             Perl for Win32 =>
http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
>                Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
>           Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
----
>                        Live Free, that's the message!
----

Hi,

Yes, it is a clearcase term.  I am certainly not a clearcase expert, but for
me it determines which files are visible to me.  When I set a task from the
command line is starts a new shell process.

@ 2004-11-09 10:17     ` Scott Andrew Borton
From: Scott Andrew Borton @ 2004-11-09 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dan Elliott" <dan_elliott_at_cox_dot_net@noSpam.org> writes:

> "Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Dan Elliott wrote:
> >
> > > Is there a way to change my current task while within emacs when
> > > using the clearcase mode?  I am guessing this would be difficult
> > > since it spawns a new shell.
> >
> > Forgive me for being dense, but what exactly do you mean by "change my
> > current task"?  Is that a ClearCase term?
>
> Yes, it is a clearcase term.  I am certainly not a clearcase expert, but for
> me it determines which files are visible to me.  When I set a task from the
> command line is starts a new shell process.

The standard ClearCase term for what you're describing is "view" (executing
a "setview" command spawns a new shell using the desired view context,
affecting which files you see). If you call them "tasks" I suspect that it
is a local term. I also guess that you're working in Unix, because CC in
Windows handles views in a rather different way.

If you want to read files in another view, you can still do that using the
normal ways (by specifying a complete path to that view/version). If you
want to cheat, you can also modify the config spec for your current view so
that the file you want to view/modify will become visible in your current
view. However, if you want to check in/out files in another view, I imagine
that your original guess is correct: because the other view exists in
another process, you'll just have to start a new emacs from that other
shell. At least that's what I always did when I was using emacs with CC.

--scott

--
Notebook on music and airports:
http://two-wugs.net/scott/