all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to unset a prefix key locally?
@ 2009-04-09 14:29 vmlinz unconscious
From: vmlinz unconscious @ 2009-04-09 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm using emacs23.0.91 packaged by debian, the simple.el defined a key
sequence "C(upercase letter 'c') - m" and the prefix 'C'(upercase letter
'c') prevent me from typing letter 'C'.

I tried to unset the key binding "C - m" locally ,but the prefix is still
there . I looked up functions in elisp manual but there is no function to
unset a prefix key.

Now I have to stop simple.el from loading or to change the debian load
settings of simple.el to comment out the key settings.

So how can I locally unset a prefix key?

Thx

* How to unset a prefix key locally?
@ 2009-04-09 14:31 vmlinz unconscious
From: vmlinz unconscious @ 2009-04-09 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm using emacs23.0.91 packaged by debian, the simple.el defined a key
sequence "C(upercase letter 'c') - m" and the prefix 'C'(upercase letter
'c') prevent me from typing letter 'C'.

I tried to unset the key binding "C - m" locally ,but the prefix is still
there . I looked up functions in elisp manual but there is no function to
unset a prefix key.

Now I have to stop simple.el from loading or to change the debian load
settings of simple.el to comment out the key settings.

So how can I locally unset a prefix key?

Thx

* Re: How to unset a prefix key locally?
       [not found] <mailman.5066.1239380563.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-10 16:47 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-04-10 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

vmlinz unconscious wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using emacs23.0.91 packaged by debian, the simple.el defined a key
> sequence "C(upercase letter 'c') - m" and the prefix 'C'(upercase letter
> 'c') prevent me from typing letter 'C'.
>
> I tried to unset the key binding "C - m" locally ,but the prefix is still
> there . I looked up functions in elisp manual but there is no function to
> unset a prefix key.
>
> Now I have to stop simple.el from loading or to change the debian load
> settings of simple.el to comment out the key settings.
>
> So how can I locally unset a prefix key?
>

> Thx

[Changed encoding from Japanese so I could type \ key]

At least in ver. 22.3 all references are to \C-m not to C-m. In what
context can you not type uppercase c?
Is there any place in Emacs where ordinary letter  key is a prefix?

* Re: How to unset a prefix key locally?
@ 2009-04-10 20:21   ` harven
From: harven @ 2009-04-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> vmlinz unconscious wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using emacs23.0.91 packaged by debian, the simple.el defined a key
>> sequence "C(upercase letter 'c') - m" and the prefix 'C'(upercase letter
>> 'c') prevent me from typing letter 'C'.
>>
>> I tried to unset the key binding "C - m" locally ,but the prefix is still
>> there . I looked up functions in elisp manual but there is no function to
>> unset a prefix key.
>>
>> Now I have to stop simple.el from loading or to change the debian load
>> settings of simple.el to comment out the key settings.
>>
>> So how can I locally unset a prefix key?
>>

>> Thx
>>

> [Changed encoding from Japanese so I could type \ key]
>
> At least in ver. 22.3 all references are to \C-m not to C-m. In what

> Is there any place in Emacs where ordinary letter  key is a prefix?

Gnus uses letters as prefixes in group and summary buffer, e.g.

A M             gnus-group-list-all-matching
D u             gnus-sieve-update
H v             gnus-version
M U             gnus-group-unmark-all-groups
S s             gnus-group-unsubscribe-group
T DEL           gnus-topic-delete
A f A           gnus-group-list-flush
G P r           gnus-group-sort-selected-groups-by-rank
T S s           gnus-topic-sort-groups
T M-n           gnus-topic-goto-next-topic
W f             mmh, quizz time. Can you tell without looking at the man ?

And that's just a sample from the group buffer. I think gnus uses all
ordinary letters as prefixes... There are probably other read-only
modes that use ordinary letter keys as prefixes. Indeed these modes
often drop the modifier key for their shortcuts ; slightly bending the
meaning of a prefix key, typing "s word" in view-mode will search forward
for word in buffer.