all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* display-buffer annoyance
@ 2011-01-01  4:16 K. Richard Pixley
From: K. Richard Pixley @ 2011-01-01  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ordinarily, things that use display-buffer and friends, (eg, the C-x 4
commands), split my window vertically.

If my window is very wide, they split it horizontally.  While I
appreciate that this is completely reasonable default behavior, I find
it annoying and would prefer that M-x compile, M-x debug, M-x grep, and
friends would always split horizontally.

Is there a configuration for this?  (The only one I find is
pop-up-frames which isn't quite what I want.)

--rich

* Re: display-buffer annoyance
@ 2011-01-01 14:44 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-01-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"K. Richard Pixley" <rich@noir.com> writes:

> Ordinarily, things that use display-buffer and friends, (eg, the C-x 4
> commands), split my window vertically.
>
> If my window is very wide, they split it horizontally.  While I
> appreciate that this is completely reasonable default behavior, I find
> it annoying and would prefer that M-x compile, M-x debug, M-x grep,
> and friends would always split horizontally.
>
> Is there a configuration for this?  (The only one I find is
> pop-up-frames which isn't quite what I want.)
Indeed annoying:
(setq split-width-threshold nil)

--
A+ Thierry