all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Who creates *Compile-Log* buffer?
@ 2004-01-20 18:22 bigfaceworm
From: bigfaceworm @ 2004-01-20 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm often switching to the '*compilation*' buffer, and
the '*Compile-Log*' buffer gets in the way of TAB completion.
The log buffer is always empty (when I check) and I am usually
just editing/compiling C/C++ files, and reading mail with
Gnus.

I'd like to rename (permanently) the *Compile-Log* buffer to
something else, or kill it (permanently).  Any help?

BFW

ps. I'd rather not use iswitchb or the other buffer switching
packages, I'm pretty happy with 'C-x b'

* Re: Who creates *Compile-Log* buffer?
@ 2004-01-20 19:24 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-20 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

bigfaceworm wrote:
 > I'm often switching to the '*compilation*' buffer, and
 > the '*Compile-Log*' buffer gets in the way of TAB completion.
 > The log buffer is always empty (when I check) and I am usually
 > just editing/compiling C/C++ files, and reading mail with
 > Gnus.

If you have a piece of advice defined with the compile keyword, you'll
get a *Compile-Log* buffer.  I have a couple loaded by my .emacs file:

(defadvice compilation-goto-locus (after highlight activate compile)
(defadvice minibuffer-complete (around cycle (&optional count) activate compile)

 > I'd like to rename (permanently) the *Compile-Log* buffer to
 > something else, or kill it (permanently).  Any help?

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (let ((compile-log-buffer (get-buffer "*Compile-Log*")))
	      (when (and compile-log-buffer
			 (= (buffer-size compile-log-buffer) 0))
		(kill-buffer compile-log-buffer)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Who creates *Compile-Log* buffer?
@ 2004-01-20 19:35 ` Hallvard B Furuseth
From: Hallvard B Furuseth @ 2004-01-20 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

bigfaceworm wrote:

> I'm often switching to the '*compilation*' buffer, and
> the '*Compile-Log*' buffer gets in the way of TAB completion.

Only because you have set completion-ignore-case.

> I'd like to rename (permanently) the *Compile-Log* buffer to
> something else, or kill it (permanently).  Any help?

The buffer comes from bytecomp.el.  Its name is not configurable.

--
Hallvard