all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs should quiz that #backups# exist by default
@ 2003-02-19  0:56 Dan Jacobson
       [not found] ` <E18lRoe-0007In-00@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-02-19  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

My icemw crashed and took emacs along with it.  What a great store of
things to complain about for my bad day not at the office.

Upon starting a new emacs, I wonder, might there be some #files#?  I
suppose I have to poke around for them myself. No spoiling emacs'
happy mood by it pro-actively telling me about them. Hmm, OK, I check
the newer files in ~/.backups, and sure enough in
/home/jidanni/.backups/.saves-636-debian~ there are lots of them.

OK, which are really there?
$ grep \# < .saves-636-debian|xargs ls
shows that indeed only one is really there.
OK, what changed?
$ diff -c makefile \#makefile\#|cat -v
! #	echo $(c84)|proj $p +ellps=aust_SA #found M-&M-(M-$j mistake
--- 5,11 ----
! #	echo $(c84)|proj $p +ellps=aust_SA #found M-^XM-*M-*M-^XM-&M-L mistake
ah ha, emacs has used its own format for the original big5 chinese.
ok, M-x recover-file indeed works but needs emacs to unlock the
'proprietary emacs #backup# file format'... ok, mentioned that
before. no big deal but do make emacs more forthcoming about what
happened bad last session.  Let's say the power blew and when you come
back to work next monday you have already forgotten to poke around
manually. you want emacs to quiz you that some #backups# exist.
In Recovering Data from Auto-Save in Info we dont see that emacs uses
its list of auto-save files to pro-actively notify the user...
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* RE: emacs should quiz that #backups# exist by default
@ 2003-02-19  7:20 Zaretskii Eli
From: Zaretskii Eli @ 2003-02-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

This message was scanned for viruses and other malicious code by PrivaWall.

This mail was sent from ELTA SYS LTD.

Does "M-x recover-session RET" do what you want?

This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.