all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
@ 2006-03-08 23:39 op132650c
From: op132650c @ 2006-03-08 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?

Thanks,
Pedro

* Re: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.108.1141861200.2832.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-03-09  2:52 ` RD
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: RD @ 2006-03-09  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

op132650c@mail.telepac.pt wrote:
> Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?
>
> Thanks,
> Pedro

How about binding some key to bury-buffer?
E.g. (global-set-key [f5 f5] 'bury-buffer) will cycle through buffers
upon pressing f5 twice.
Don't forget about mouse 1 and mouse 3 on the buffer name in the mode line.

bury-buffer is an interactive built-in function.
(bury-buffer &optional BUFFER)

Put BUFFER at the end of the list of all buffers.
There it is the least likely candidate for `other-buffer' to return;
thus, the least likely buffer for C-x b to select by default.
If BUFFER is nil or omitted, bury the current buffer.
Also, if BUFFER is nil or omitted, remove the current buffer from the
selected window if it is displayed there.

Regards,
Bob

* Re: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.108.1141861200.2832.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-03-09 10:09 ` roodwriter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: roodwriter @ 2006-03-09 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

op132650c@mail.telepac.pt writes:

> Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?
>
> Thanks,
> Pedro

If you're talking about just shifting from buffer to buffer use C-x b.
By default you can go back to the last buffer just by hitting
<return>. If you want a different buffer, type in the buffer's name
you want to go to. Don't forget tab-completion. If you type in a
partial name you can hit <tab> and Emacs will complete the buffer name
for you. Then you hit <return>.

This is so handy that all my standing buffers begin with different
letters so all I have to do is use one letter and then tab-complete.

These aren't the only ways. C-x C-b will pop up a list of buffers
similar to a file manager. You can use it to travel to another buffer.
It also has many other capabilities.

A nifty little add-on is ebs.el. Using this you can C-tab through your
buffers similar to the way most people alt-tab through their programs.
Some window managers will hijack that key combination so it won't
work, however.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* RE: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in theemacs?
@ 2006-03-09 16:03   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-03-09 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?

There are a zillion such shortcuts, ranging from standard Emacs key bindings
(i.e. "shortcuts") like `C-x b' to bindings provided by add-on Emacs
libraries. Different users like different ways of switching among buffers.
Here is more info on various approaches:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers.

@ 2006-03-09 16:51 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-03-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

<op132650c@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?
>
> Thanks,
> Pedro

Research iswitchb. This overloads the functionality of C-x b so that you
can not only make new buffers unconnected with files, but also quickly
select existing buffers by way of incremental search and buffer name
completion. This may not be the best solution for progammers but is the
best built-in solution in support of generic writing, as far as I know.

Ed

* Re: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.108.1141861200.2832.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-09 22:17 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2006-03-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006, op132650c@mail.telepac.pt wrote:
> Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?

Among the suggestions, I have found ibuffer.el to be quite nice in my
buffer interaction.  I have it mapped to C-x M-b and C-x b stays mapped
to buffer-menu.

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.108.1141861200.2832.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-03-16 19:44 ` Floyd L. Davidson
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1142582974.3794.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2006-03-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

op132650c@mail.telepac.pt wrote:
>Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs.?

Depends on what suits your particular fancy, but what I do is bind
'bury-buffer' to C-x x.  Repeated execution rotates through all
buffers.

--
Floyd L. Davidson            <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@apaflo.com

* Re: Is there any key shortcut to switch through buffers in the emacs?
@ 2006-03-17  8:10   ` Pawel
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1142582974.3794.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pawel @ 2006-03-17  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Also try
C-<left-arrow> and C-<right-arrow>

@ 2006-03-17  8:42     ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2006-03-17  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pawel <null7@wp.pl> wrote:
>Also try
>C-<left-arrow> and C-<right-arrow>

Those are owned by the window manager (FVWM) on my box.  Or, I
assume they are as they are not recognized by XEmacs at all.

Regardless of that, what functions are those keys bound to on your
system?  (Use C-H K check.)