all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* unedebug-defun?
@ 2003-09-11 13:36 David Abrahams
From: David Abrahams @ 2003-09-11 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Once I do `M-x edebug-defun' there appears to be no easy way to keep
edebug from stopping at the beginning of the function forevermore.  I
wrote this:

    (defun my-unedebug-defun ()
      "I can't believe emacs doesn't give you a way to do this!!"
      (interactive t)
      (eval-expression (edebug-read-top-level-form)))

What am I missing?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

* Re: unedebug-defun?
       [not found] <mailman.168.1063289005.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-11 14:16 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-09-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Abrahams wrote:

> Once I do `M-x edebug-defun' there appears to be no easy way to keep
> edebug from stopping at the beginning of the function forevermore.

>From "Instrumenting for Edebug" section of elisp manual:

   To remove instrumentation from a definition, simply re-evaluate its
   definition in a way that does not instrument.

So, for example, M-x eval-defun.

* Re: unedebug-defun?
@ 2003-09-11 14:59   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-09-11 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Once I do `M-x edebug-defun' there appears to be no easy way to
>> keep edebug from stopping at the beginning of the function
>> forevermore.
>
> From "Instrumenting for Edebug" section of elisp manual:
>
>    To remove instrumentation from a definition, simply re-evaluate
>    its definition in a way that does not instrument.
>
> So, for example, M-x eval-defun.

  =>  C-M-x runs the command eval-defun

      Evaluate the top-level form containing point, or after point.
      [...]
  =>  With a prefix argument, instrument the code for Edebug.

      Setting `edebug-all-defs' to a non-nil value reverses the
      meaning of the prefix argument. Code is then instrumented when
      this function is invoked without a prefix argument
      [...]

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: unedebug-defun?
@ 2003-09-11 15:09     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-09-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Bockgård wrote:

>       Setting `edebug-all-defs' to a non-nil value reverses the
>       meaning of the prefix argument.

Kinky. ;)

Thanks for the info.

@ 2003-09-12 16:49 ` David Vanderschel
From: David Vanderschel @ 2003-09-12 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Abrahams" <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote in message

> Once I do `M-x edebug-defun' there appears to be no
> easy way to keep edebug from stopping at the
> beginning of the function forevermore.  ...

I came close to posting a very similar 'plaint a few
days ago.  The responses to David's question so far
address the issue of how to remove the edebug
instrumentation from a function.  That may be
sufficient for David, but I was never unclear on
that.  The issue for me was that I wanted to be able
to instrument a function and still not have it break
automatically when invoked.  I wanted to set a
qualified source breakpoint so that it would only
break when the argument satisfied a certain
condition.  Doing the obvious thing - removing the
break at the beginning of the function when first
invoked - does not work because edebug does not admit
to there being a breakpoint there.

The key to this issue may be found in the Edebug
Execution Modes node of the info file for elisp.  In
particular, the variable mentioned at the bottom,
edebug-initial-mode is key to accomplishing what I
want.  I had realized that "go" mode sounded right,
but giving that command after the break did not help.
Setting the variable does it.

Regards,
  David V.

@ 2003-09-12 16:51 ` David Vanderschel