all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Actions using symbols
@ 2024-09-02 12:30 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-09-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I customarily make symbols that I can check on as conditionals

(defun myfunc (actn)
  (when (eq actn 'something) dothis)

Would things go wrong should I start using function names as arguments
For instance, myfunc would use a mapcar implementation when ACTN is
'mapcar and an apply-partially implementation when ACTN is 'apply-partially

(defun myfunc (actn)
  (when (eq actn 'mapcar) dothis)
  (when (eq actn 'apply-partially) dothat)

* Re: Actions using symbols
@ 2024-09-02 13:38 ` Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-09-02 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> I customarily make symbols that I can check on as conditionals
>
> (defun myfunc (actn)
>   (when (eq actn 'something) dothis)
>
> Would things go wrong should I start using function names as arguments

No.

> For instance, myfunc would use a mapcar implementation when ACTN is
> 'mapcar and an apply-partially implementation when ACTN is 'apply-partially
>
> (defun myfunc (actn)
>   (when (eq actn 'mapcar) dothis)
>   (when (eq actn 'apply-partially) dothat)

This is correct code.
--
Manuel Giraud

* Re: Actions using symbols
@ 2024-09-02 17:10   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-09-02 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Giraud; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 at 1:38 AM, Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
>
> > I customarily make symbols that I can check on as conditionals
> >
> > (defun myfunc (actn)
> > (when (eq actn 'something) dothis)
> >
> > Would things go wrong should I start using function names as arguments
>

> No.
>
> > For instance, myfunc would use a mapcar implementation when ACTN is
> > 'mapcar and an apply-partially implementation when ACTN is 'apply-partially
> >
> > (defun myfunc (actn)
> > (when (eq actn 'mapcar) dothis)
> > (when (eq actn 'apply-partially) dothat)
>

> This is correct code.
> --
> Manuel Giraud

What happens when I do (let ((actn 'mapcar)) ? It is actually setting
actn to the 'mapcar symbol.  When one defines the function mapcar, does
elisp also make the symbol 'mapcar ?

(let ((actn 'mapcar))
  dothat(actn))

* Re: Actions using symbols
@ 2024-09-02 19:07     ` alexbuhl
From: alexbuhl @ 2024-09-02 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Manuel Giraud, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

On Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 at 5:10 AM, Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
>

> On Tuesday, September 3rd, 2024 at 1:38 AM, Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org wrote:
>
> > Heime heimeborgia@protonmail.com writes:
> >
> > > I customarily make symbols that I can check on as conditionals
> > >
> > > (defun myfunc (actn)
> > > (when (eq actn 'something) dothis)
> > >
> > > Would things go wrong should I start using function names as arguments
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > For instance, myfunc would use a mapcar implementation when ACTN is
> > > 'mapcar and an apply-partially implementation when ACTN is 'apply-partially
> > >
> > > (defun myfunc (actn)
> > > (when (eq actn 'mapcar) dothis)
> > > (when (eq actn 'apply-partially) dothat)
> >
> > This is correct code.
> > --
> > Manuel Giraud
>

> What happens when I do (let ((actn 'mapcar)) ? It is actually setting
> actn to the 'mapcar symbol. When one defines the function mapcar, does
> elisp also make the symbol 'mapcar ?

I should have meant this actually

(let ((actn 'mapcar))
  (dothat actn))