all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: rcirc question
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 23:50:38 -0600	[thread overview]

Vagn Johansen wrote:
> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks, Deniz. That last snippet should work for me. I didn't upgrade to
>> ver. 23 because getting emacsclientw to work with ver. 22 was such a
>> nightmare that I am terrified of even looking at the w32 registry again.
>>  I will wait until someone comes up with a fool-proof .reg file that I
>> can just incorporate into my registry. I think there are about 500 lines
>> in it now that have some variant of "emacs..." in them.
>
> What did you change in the registry?
>
> emacsclientw usually "just works" via
>
>   1) add (server-start) to .emacs
>   2) run emacsclient -n <filename>

I'm pretty sure that at that time emacsclientw didn't "just work."

I start emacs from a shortcut on the desktop with target:
C:\Emacs\bin\runemacs.exe --debug-init
Environment:
ALTERNATE_EDITOR c:\emacs\bin\runemacs.exe
HOME C:\emacs

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command]
@="c:\\emacs\\bin\\emacsclientw.exe -n  \"%1\""

and this same string in many other places, as well as file associations
for about 30 file extensions, etc. Maybe the answer is as simple as
renaming C:\emacs as c:\emacs22 and then c:\emacs23 as c:\emacs. That
way all the paths should be correct in the registry. I may need a new
auctex and a few other things for emacs ver. 23.