all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
@ 2011-10-28 19:07 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-28 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

I have trouble setting up Gnus (mail- + newsreader) on GNU Emacs 23.3 (on Mac OS X 10.7.2) correctly. Here is what I did so far:

1) installed Gnus 5.10.10 (in ~/email)

2) ~/.emacs:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/email/lisp") load-path))
   (require 'gnus-load)

(require 'info)
(if (featurep 'xemacs)
    (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/email/texi/")
  (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/email/texi/"))

3) ~/.gnus.el:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")); Question 1: what can I put here if I don't want *any* news?
(setq user-mail-address "my.name@dep.uni.edu")
(setq user-full-name "My Name")

;; setup IMAP accounts
(setq 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
   '((nnimap "my.name@dep.uni.edu"; primary email account
             (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"); mail server address
             (nnimap-server-port 993); port
             (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
             (nnir-search-engine imap); enable searching mails
             (nnimap-stream ssl); use ssl
             (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0); if a connection to an IMAP server can't be closed, force close after 1s
     )
     (nnimap "my.name@googlemail.com"; secondary email account
             (nnimap-address "imap.googlemail.com"); mail server address
             (nnimap-server-port 993); port
             (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
             (nnir-search-engine imap); enable searching mails
             (nnimap-stream ssl); use ssl
             (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0); if a connection to an IMAP server can't be closed, force close after 1s
             ))
)

4) ~/.authinfo
machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port 993
machine imap.googlemail.com login my.name@googlemail.com port 993

When starting Gnus via M-x gnus, I obtain:
"byte-code: Error in ~/.gnus: symbolp"
=> Question: What is wrong?

Cheers,

Marius

PS: As references, I used:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#toc1
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_208.html#SEC208

* Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
@ 2011-10-28 20:49 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-28 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> I have trouble setting up Gnus (mail- + newsreader) on GNU Emacs 23.3
> (on Mac OS X 10.7.2) correctly. Here is what I did so far:
>
> 1) installed Gnus 5.10.10 (in ~/email)

The gnus version included in emacs 23.3 is probably newer than that
version.

> 2) ~/.emacs:
>
> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/email/lisp") load-path))
>    (require 'gnus-load)
>
> (require 'info)
> (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>     (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/email/texi/")
>   (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/email/texi/"))

That's not needed if you simply use the bundled version.

> 3) ~/.gnus.el:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")); Question 1: what
>  ;;can I put here if I don't want *any* news?

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

> (setq user-mail-address "my.name@dep.uni.edu")
> (setq user-full-name "My Name")
>
> ;; setup IMAP accounts
> (setq 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
        ^
That quote is wrong.

>    '((nnimap "my.name@dep.uni.edu"; primary email account
>              (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"); mail server address
>              (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>              (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>              (nnir-search-engine imap); enable searching mails
>              (nnimap-stream ssl); use ssl
>              (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0); if a connection to an IMAP server can't be closed, force close after 1s

Why do you configure that much?  Is that really required?  I guess, no.
Recent Gnus use SSL or TLS automatically if possible, the nnir search
engine is set to IMAP automatically, too, and why specifying a logout
timeout?

> When starting Gnus via M-x gnus, I obtain:
> "byte-code: Error in ~/.gnus: symbolp"
> => Question: What is wrong?

See above.

> PS: As references, I used:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#toc1
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail

These wiki sites can't keep up with the enormous development speed Gnus
has had lately.  Better use the info docs, because that refer to the
actual gnus version you are using (also bundled with emacs, C-h i m gnus
RET).

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
@ 2011-10-29  7:58 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-29  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tassilo; +Cc: Emacs help

>> I have trouble setting up Gnus (mail- + newsreader) on GNU Emacs 23.3
>> (on Mac OS X 10.7.2) correctly. Here is what I did so far:
>>
>> 1) installed Gnus 5.10.10 (in ~/email)
>
> The gnus version included in emacs 23.3 is probably newer than that
> version.
>
>> 2) ~/.emacs:
>>
>> (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/email/lisp") load-path))
>>    (require 'gnus-load)
>> (require 'info)
>>  (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>>     (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list "~/email/texi/")
>>   (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/email/texi/"))
>
> That's not needed if you simply use the bundled version.

Hi Tassilo,

thanks a lot for your help, it's highly appreciated.

That's good to know. I removed the above code from .emacs. Now Gnus starts with a golden logo (instead of a white one as before) :-)

>> 3) ~/.gnus.el:
>>
>> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")); Question 1: what can I put here if I don't want *any* news?
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))

Thanks

>> (setq user-mail-address "address@hidden")
>> (setq user-full-name "My Name")
>> ;; setup IMAP accounts
>> (setq 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>              ^
> That quote is wrong.

Oh wow... great, thanks a ton!

>>  '((nnimap "address@hidden"; primary email account
>>            (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"); mail server address
>>            (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>>            (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>>            (nnir-search-engine imap); enable searching mails
>>            (nnimap-stream ssl); use ssl
>>            (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0); if a connection to an IMAP server can't be closed, force close after 1s
>
> Why do you configure that much?  Is that really required?  I guess, no.
> Recent Gnus use SSL or TLS automatically if possible, the nnir search
> engine is set to IMAP automatically, too, and why specifying a logout
> timeout?

I found it in the references I gave. I didn't know that Gnus already uses these defaults.
The timeout is suggested at the bottom of http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_208.html

>> When starting Gnus via M-x gnus, I obtain:
>> "byte-code: Error in ~/.gnus: symbolp"
>> => Question: What is wrong?
>
> See above.
>
>> PS: As references, I used:
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#toc1
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
>
> These wiki sites can't keep up with the enormous development speed Gnus
> has had lately.  Better use the info docs, because that refer to the
> actual gnus version you are using (also bundled with emacs, C-h i m gnus
> RET).

Good to know, thanks. As a new user, I typically go to the wiki pages for get help and background information. I probably should change this :-)

Here is what worked/didn't work:

1) I now use the "internal" version of Gnus (so no entry in .emacs and no ~/email)

2) ~/.gnus.el is set up as you suggested:

     (nnimap "address@googlemail.com"; secondary email account
             (nnimap-address "imap.googlemail.com"); mail server address
             (nnimap-server-port 993); port
             (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
             ))
)

3) ~/.authinfo (as before):
machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port 993
machine imap.googlemail.com login address@googlemail.com port 993

4) If I start Gnus with M-x gnus, I see:
imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu # I see this for about 2min; can't do anything else with emacs during that time
imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com # I see this for as long as I watch... The only chance to proceed is to hit C-g

If I hit C-g I obtain the *Group* buffer saying:
g: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help

From there I can send emails via both accounts. But I don't see/receive new emails.
Q1: Does this have to do with "subscribing to a mailbox"?
Q2: Why can I send emails without being asked for a password?
Q3: On http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail it is described how to use Gmail's SMTP server:
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "username@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain "yourcompany.com")
Is this required?

Q4: Considering the output of *Messages* (failures), what am I missing?

Reading /Users/myuser/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file from address@uni.edu via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...
imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu...failed
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...failed
Reading active file from address@googlemail.com via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on address@googlemail.com...
imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com...failed
Opening nnimap server on address@googlemail.com...failed
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...
Denied server
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...failed
Opening nnimap server on address@googlemail.com...
Denied server
Opening nnimap server on address@googlemail.com...failed
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done

Q5: I have a file contacts.org containing all contacts in "org-contacts"-form. My .emacs contains:
(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/contacts" load-path))
(require 'org-contacts)
(custom-set-variables
 '(org-contacts-files '("~/org/contacts.org")))
[I found this here: http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg37143.html]
As mentioned on http://julien.danjou.info/org-contacts.html, this allows for completion of addresses. I tried it, but I can't complete addresses defined in contacts.org. What else do I have to specify?

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
@ 2011-10-29  8:09 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: Emacs help

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
> (setq user-mail-address "address@hidden")
> (setq user-full-name "My Name")
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>    '((nnimap "address@hidden"; primary email account
>              (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"); mail server address
>              (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>              (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>              )
>      (nnimap "address@googlemail.com"; secondary email account
>              (nnimap-address "imap.googlemail.com"); mail server address
>              (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>              (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>              ))
> )

I'd probably start with just these gnus-secondary-s-m

  '((nnimap "address@hidden"
            (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"))
    (nnimap "gmail"
            (nnimap-address "...")))

Most probably, that'll just work.  Gnus will automatically determine
what's the most secure connection for the servers and use that.

> 3) ~/.authinfo (as before):
> machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port 993
> machine imap.googlemail.com login address@googlemail.com port 993

Don't specify a port if not needed.  And add a "force yes" as last thing
in each line.

> 4) If I start Gnus with M-x gnus, I see:
> imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu # I see this for about 2min; can't do anything else with emacs during that time
> imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com # I see this for as long as I watch... The only chance to proceed is to hit C-g

Probably, because you say Gnus to use port 993 with SSL while the
servers prefer something else.  As said, start with a minimal setup.

> Q5: I have a file contacts.org containing all contacts in
> "org-contacts"-form. My .emacs contains:
> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/contacts" load-path))
> (require 'org-contacts)
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(org-contacts-files '("~/org/contacts.org")))
> [I found this here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg37143.html] As
> mentioned on http://julien.danjou.info/org-contacts.html, this allows
> for completion of addresses. I tried it, but I can't complete
> addresses defined in contacts.org. What else do I have to specify?

You need to call

  (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)

in your ~/.emacs or ~/.gnus.el to make that working.

Bye,
Tassilo
--

@ 2011-10-29  9:45   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-29  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Emacs help

Dear Tassilo,

thanks a lot.

I minimalized "gnus-secondary-select-methods" as you suggested. I also adjusted authinfo and put (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) in .emacs.

The connection to mail.uni.edu at startup works quite fast (about 1s), but the I get asked "Buffer has a running process; kill it?" If I choose yes, then "imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com..." appears (again, for as long as I don't abort it with C-g). I also very briefly see "error in process filter: Internal error, tag 4 status BAD code nil text Command received in Invalid state."

Reading /Users/myuser/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file from address@uni.edu via nnimap...
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...
imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu...
Waiting for response from mail.uni.edu...done
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `mail.uni.edu:143'...
Buffer has a running process; kill it? (y or n)y
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...failed
imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
imap: Authenticating to `mail.uni.edu' using `anonymous'...
imap: Logging in anonymously...
imap: Authenticating to `mail.uni.edu' using `anonymous'...failed
Opening nnimap server on address@uni.edu...done
Denied server nnimap+address@googlemail.com
Opening nnimap server on address@googlemail.com...failed
No new newsgroups
Checking new news...
Opening nndoc server on gnus-help...done
Checking new news...done

Also, the  (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) statement did not change anything concerning the completion (I am in the "To" line and type "Us" + TAB. I expect to get "User", but nothing happens), but that's certainly not the major problem at the moment.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2011-10-29 18:33     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-10-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> The connection to mail.uni.edu at startup works quite fast (about 1s),
> but the I get asked "Buffer has a running process; kill it?" If I
> choose yes, then "imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com..." appears
> (again, for as long as I don't abort it with C-g).

This "Buffer has running process" thingy rings some bell.  I think there
was a discussion lately on emacs-devel or ding.  You might want to have
a look.

> Also, the (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) statement did not change
> anything concerning the completion (I am in the "To" line and type
> "Us" + TAB. I expect to get "User", but nothing happens), but that's
> certainly not the major problem at the moment.

When you are in a message buffer, what's the value of
`completion-at-point-functions'?  It should include
`org-contacts-message-complete-function'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--

@ 2011-10-29 23:01       ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-29 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-10-29, at 20:33 , Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Marius Hofert writes:
>
> Hi Marius,
>
>> The connection to mail.uni.edu at startup works quite fast (about 1s),
>> but the I get asked "Buffer has a running process; kill it?" If I
>> choose yes, then "imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com..." appears
>> (again, for as long as I don't abort it with C-g).
>
> This "Buffer has running process" thingy rings some bell.  I think there
> was a discussion lately on emacs-devel or ding.  You might want to have
> a look.

I tried, but couldn't find anything useful :-(
The non-Gmail server is a Microsoft Exchange server (in case that information is useful).

I commented out the gmail account, hoping that it will make the other mailbox run perfectly, but it does not (still getting the kill buffer message). I then commmented out the buggy mailbox and just left the Gmail mailbox in the secondary-select-methods. I obtain:
Gnus auto-save file exists. Do you want to read it? (y or n)
I chose n. Then, the minibuffer showed:
imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com...
It takes about 3 minutes until I see the Group buffer (why so long?)
When starting a new message, I get:
Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.
When hitting ^, I obtain:
{nnfolder:archive} (closed)
{nndoc:gnus-help} (opened)
{nnimap:marius.hofert@googlemail.com} (denied)

Any ideas?

>> Also, the (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) statement did not change
>> anything concerning the completion (I am in the "To" line and type
>> "Us" + TAB. I expect to get "User", but nothing happens), but that's
>> certainly not the major problem at the moment.
>
> When you are in a message buffer, what's the value of
> `completion-at-point-functions'?  It should include
> `org-contacts-message-complete-function'.

It does:

completion-at-point-functions is a variable defined in `minibuffer.el'.
Its value is (org-contacts-message-complete-function)

  This variable is potentially risky when used as a file local variable.

Documentation:
Special hook to find the completion table for the thing at point.
It is called without any argument and should return either nil,
or a function of no argument to perform completion (discouraged),
or a list of the form (START END COLLECTION &rest PROPS) where
 START and END delimit the entity to complete and should include point,
 COLLECTION is the completion table to use to complete it, and
 PROPS is a property list for additional information.
Currently supported properties are:
 `:predicate'           a predicate that completion candidates need to satisfy.
 `:annotation-function' the value to use for `completion-annotate-function'.

Still, I can't complete addesses. My ~/org/contact.org is specified in .emacs by

(custom-set-variables
 '(org-contacts-files '("~/org/contacts.org")))
(org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)

and it looks like:

#+STARTUP: showeverything
# entry:
# :PROPERTIES:
# :EMAIL:
# :WORK:
# :HOME:
# :MOBILE:
# :LOCATION:
# :BIRTHDAY:
# :NOTE:
# :END:

* Friends
** John
:PROPERTIES:
:EMAIL: john.doe@doe.com

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2011-10-31 16:56       ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-10-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Okay, here's an update to some of the problems:

1) TAB-completion is not working (thanks to Julien Danjou who pointed out that I need Emacs 24 instead of 23.*)
2) Emacs 24 (to be more precise: Emacs-pretest-24.0.91-universal-10.6.7.dmg on http://emacsformacosx.com/builds) also clarified some of the other problems. Suddenly, Gnus is starting quite fast, both accounts (Gmail/Microsoft Exchange Server) are now checked for mails and can receive mails.

I haven't got time yet to set up how they can *send* mail (I briefly tried, it's not possilbe without an additional lisp code). If someone has done this before, I'd be happy to have some advice (especially since Tassilo pointed out that some of the references are not updated according to the fast development of Gnus).
1) For Gmail, there's a wikipage:  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
2) For a Microsoft Exchange Server, I found: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4266241/using-gnus-within-emacs-to-access-mail-from-microsoft-exchange2010
Not sure if 1) and 2) are helpful, though. I'll try.

Cheers,

Marius