all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emerge-files through tramp fails
@ 2004-09-13  9:19 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2004-09-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have already asked emacs-help with no success.
Now i have another problem, maybe some guru here will say if i mis-use
tramp
or if it might be a bug ?

Last week i have experimented the possibilities of file editing through
tramp
and i tried the following : merging a local .gnus file at work with
another at home.

*First Problem*
Emerge-files fails with the following :
\ No newline at end of file
\ No newline at end of file

The both  files have same ancestor  that is iso-latin-1 encoded  and
both do
have a final newline that i have added for the purpose of test.

The first file  is located locally on my  mac G4 at work, the  remote
one is
accessed by means of tramp with the following syntax :
/multi:ssh:seki@mygateway:ssh:seki@mypersonalhost:/home/seki/.gnus.d/
.gnus

If  i  try  to  edit  individually  the  files  i  can  browse  the
content
successfully. I see no problem with remote file opening with tramp.
And they *have* a final newline.

*Second problem*
This morning i tried once again and i now get the following :
diff: /tmp/tramp.3617GRY: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type <==>
french for 'No such file or directory'
diff: /Users/seki/.emacs: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
It seems that it does not shows the newline error anymore.

Can i correct something to be abble to merge such distant and local
files ?
Thanks for attention.

Sébastien Kirche

* Re: emerge-files through tramp fails
@ 2004-09-14 20:17 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2004-09-14 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche@sage.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I have already asked emacs-help with no success.
> Now i have another problem, maybe some guru here will say if i mis-use
> tramp
> or if it might be a bug ?
>
> Last week i have experimented the possibilities of file editing through
> tramp
> and i tried the following : merging a local .gnus file at work with
> another at home.
>
> *First Problem*
> Emerge-files fails with the following :
> \ No newline at end of file
> \ No newline at end of file

Hmm. I just played a little bit around with emerge-files of a local
and a remote (Tramp) file, but there are no problems. Note that I
work with ediff for years, and I haven't seen a Tramp related problem
ever. Strange.

> *Second problem*
> This morning i tried once again and i now get the following :
> diff: /tmp/tramp.3617GRY: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type <==>
> french for 'No such file or directory'
> diff: /Users/seki/.emacs: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> It seems that it does not shows the newline error anymore.
>
> Can i correct something to be abble to merge such distant and local
> files ?

First, we need more evidences. It would be great if you could perform
the same test with the following settings:

(setq tramp-debug-buffer t
      tramp-verbose 10)

When the problem occurs again, please raise a Tramp bug report via
"M-x tramp-submit-bug". It provides the settings of relevant
variables. Important would be also the buffer "*debug tramp/ssh
foo@bla".

> Thanks for attention.
>
> Sébastien Kirche

Best regards, Michael.