all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* kill from point to beginning of line?
@ 2004-09-09 14:03 Al Oomens
From: Al Oomens @ 2004-09-09 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I kill from the point to the beginning of a line? I've looked
and can;t find out how to do this. Thanks for any help!

* Re: kill from point to beginning of line?
@ 2004-09-09 14:50 ` Miguel Frasson
From: Miguel Frasson @ 2004-09-09 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Oomens <aloomens@yahoo.com> writes:

> How do I kill from the point to the beginning of a line? I've looked
> and can;t find out how to do this. Thanks for any help!

We know that C-k kills from point to end of line.

Try `C-space C-a C-w'

C-space   set the mark
C-a       beginning of line
C-w       kill region

Or make a function that does it for you.

See also the effect of giving a negative arg to kill-region

`C-u - C-k'

It's fun.

Miguel

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson

* Re: kill from point to beginning of line?
@ 2004-09-09 15:04   ` emacs Fan
From: emacs Fan @ 2004-09-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> See also the effect of giving a negative arg to kill-region
> `C-u - C-k'

I think the correct answer is:
C-u 0 C-k

* RE: kill from point to beginning of line?
@ 2004-09-09 16:08     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-09-09 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. And, since C-0 and M-0 act as 0, you can keep the M- or C- modifier key
pressed to do the equivalent of C-u 0 C-k quicker in either of these ways:

C-u C-0 C-k (just keep C- pressed and hit u, 0, k

M-- M-0 C-k (keep M- pressed and hit -, 0; then hit k)

In this case, the C-u C-0 trick is handier, because you need to press C- for
C-k anyway. The M-- M-0 trick is more useful for M- key sequences.

@ 2004-09-09 16:12       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-09-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I forgot to add: If you're using this to delete stuff in the minibuffer,
C-M-backspace (command backward-kill-sexp) is also handy. It doesn't always
delete to the line beginning, but it is very quick and quick to repeat.

@ 2004-09-26 11:52       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-26 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> C-u C-0 C-k (just keep C- pressed and hit u, 0, k

I think C-0 C-k also works.

Kai