all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to open a buffer full screen?
@ 2004-09-09  2:33 Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

when I reading newsgroup, there are 3 windows in my frame.

now, I want to edit another file. so I press ^x^f ,input the file name,
now I has the buffer,but it is in a small window . what I want is that
give me a frame which have only one buffer for the file.

how to do?
and how can I go back to the newsgroup whith 3 windows?

thanks.

* Re: how to open a buffer full screen?
@ 2004-09-09  4:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2070.1094703113.1998.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-09-09  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Rokia <Rokia@mail.org>
> Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:33:55 +0800
>

> when I reading newsgroup, there are 3 windows in my frame.
>
> now, I want to edit another file. so I press ^x^f ,input the file name,
> now I has the buffer,but it is in a small window . what I want is that
> give me a frame which have only one buffer for the file.
>
> how to do?

Use "C-x 5 f" instead of "C-x C-f".

> and how can I go back to the newsgroup whith 3 windows?

Switch back to the previous frame (e.g., by mouse-clicking on it).

@ 2004-09-09  6:11   ` Rokia
From: Rokia @ 2004-09-09  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

yeah, I got a new frame. but, I really want is in the same frame, not a
new one :(

@ 2004-09-09  8:30 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-09-09  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokia@mail.org> writes:

> now, I want to edit another file. so I press ^x^f ,input the file name,
> now I has the buffer,but it is in a small window . what I want is that
> give me a frame which have only one buffer for the file.

C-x 1           delete all windows except the current one
C-x 2           split the current window into two
C-x 0           delete the current window

Kai

* Re: how to open a buffer full screen?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-09-10 14:34 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-09-10 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rokia <Rokia@mail.org> writes:
[...]
> now, I want to edit another file. so I press ^x^f ,input the file name,
> now I has the buffer,but it is in a small window . what I want is that
> give me a frame which have only one buffer for the file.
[...]
> and how can I go back to the newsgroup whith 3 windows?
[...]

Activate `winner-mode' (info "(emacs)Window Convenience").

C-x C-f /your/file RET

C-x 1

To go back to three windows type C-x <left> (or C-c <left>, if you
are using Emacs from CVS).

    Oliver
--
25 Fructidor an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* RE: how to open a buffer full screen?
@ 2004-09-10 15:07   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-09-10 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

To get a new Emacs frame that has only one buffer (for the file), instead of two small Emacs windows in the same Emacs frame ("window" in common speak), put this in your init file (.emacs or _emacs):

(setq pop-up-frames t)

See also: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs for more on using Emacs in a one-window-per-frame mode.