all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* maximizing window for MacOSX
@ 2012-02-03  7:50 ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2012-02-03  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

MacOSX Snow Leopard
Cocoa Emacs 23.2.1

I am trying to develop an Emacs Lisp program that maximizes the window.
I found and modified the following code, which was originally for Carbon
Emacs.

(when (eq window-system 'ns)
  (add-hook 'window-setup-hook
            (lambda ()
              (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullboth)
              )))

(defun mac-toggle-max-window ()
  (interactive)
  (if (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen)
      (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen nil)
    (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullboth)))

It does not act as I want it to.
window-system for MacOSX is "ns" I believe.

Could anyone see why it does not work?

Thanks in advance.

soichi

* Re: maximizing window for MacOSX
@ 2012-02-03 10:25 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2012-02-03 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ishi soichi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 3.2.2012 um 08:50 schrieb ishi soichi:

> It does not act as I want it to.

Your code works with

	GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.36)

(it's not the NS variant but an "experimental" AppKit variant). Here the frame (or window) title shoots over the screen – and takes the menu-bar with it.

Your code also works with

	GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.36)

Here the frame (or window) title shoots over the screen and becomes invisible although the menu-bar is still useful.

It does *not* work with

	GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
	GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)

the NS variants.

I'd recommend to migrate to YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu's AppKit variant of GNU Emacs 23.4. It makes use of the Mac OS X resources like a "native" Mac OS X application. Right now it's a set of patches and extra files in an archive you can find here (in TRAMP syntax): /ftp:anonymous@ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp:/emacs/. GNU Emacs 23.4 can be found at http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html. You need to patch this code and then compile and install it.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
		– Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and Hobbes

* RE: maximizing window for MacOSX
@ 2012-02-03 14:49 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'ishi soichi', help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to develop an Emacs Lisp program that maximizes
> the window.  I found and modified the following code, which
> was originally for Carbon Emacs. ...
> It does not act as I want it to.

You might also try the code in frame-cmds.el (e.g. `maximize-frame'):
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el.  (It requires a second
library, frame-fns.el: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-fns.el.)

It does not depend on the frame parameter `fullscreen', which does not exist in
some Emacs builds.  It takes into consideration the space available on Mac-OS,
via `mac-display-available-pixel-bounds'.

* Re: maximizing window for MacOSX
@ 2012-02-05  8:02   ` ishi soichi
From: ishi soichi @ 2012-02-05  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to read the source code!

soichi

@ 2012-02-28 19:01 ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2012-02-28 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2012-02-03, ishi soichi wrote:

> I am trying to develop an Emacs Lisp program that maximizes the window.
> I found and modified the following code, which was originally for Carbon
> Emacs.

Personally I use such bunch of code:

  (when window-system
    (let (
          (px (display-pixel-width))
          (py (display-pixel-height))
          (fx (frame-char-width))
          (fy (frame-char-height))
          tx ty
          )
      ;; Next formulas discovered empiric on Windows/Linux host
      ;; with default font (7x13).
      (setq tx (- (/ px fx) 7))
      (setq ty (- (/ py fy) 4))
      (setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 2) (left . 2)))
      (add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist (cons 'width tx))
      (add-to-list 'initial-frame-alist (cons 'height ty))
      ) )

It does not fully maximise Emacs but make this close to good solution in
portable way and does not too depended on screen resolution.

--
Best regards!

* RE: maximizing window for MacOSX
@ 2012-02-28 19:25   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Oleksandr Gavenko', help-gnu-emacs

> > I am trying to develop an Emacs Lisp program that maximizes
> > the window. I found and modified the following code, which was
> > originally for Carbon Emacs.
>
> Personally I use such bunch of code:...

You might also try `maximize-frame' (or `maximize-frame-vertically' or
`maximize-frame-horizontally'), here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/frame-cmds.el.

There are also corresponding commands to restore the previous sizes.