all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gmail with emacs
@ 2011-05-14  5:20 Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2011-05-14  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok i need help with emacs to setup my email.
On this site : http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail
They said to add this line... but i don't now where. A guy on the emacs for
windows mailing list helped me to setup my home folder now in my home folder
i have a directory call .emacs.d.
Where do i have to put these line:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Thanks

--
Posté par Joseph Benoit Steve Prud'Homme
sprudhom@gmail.com

* Re: Gmail with emacs
@ 2011-05-14 19:57 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-05-14 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Prud'Homme; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.05.2011 um 07:20 schrieb Steve Prud'Homme:

> Where do i have to put these line:

I think the variable user-init-file should give you the file's name.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs

* Re: Gmail with emacs
@ 2011-12-21 17:21 ` Steve Prud'Homme
From: Steve Prud'Homme @ 2011-12-21 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok i try to configure my GNU Emacs to read gmail email.
I saw on a web site that i have to put these line :

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
                                  (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl))

So I've put it in .emacs
Now I have this error

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`/home/sprudhom/.emacs':

Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-secondary-select-methods

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.

I'm a beginner in emacs mail... can anybody help me with a low level
(rookie) langage.
Thanks

--
Posté par Steve Prud'Homme
sprudhom@gmail.com

* Re: Gmail with emacs
@ 2011-12-21 18:35   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-12-21 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Steve Prud'Homme" <sprudhom@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok i try to configure my GNU Emacs to read gmail email.
> I saw on a web site that i have to put these line :

Better refer to the official docs than to some probably outdated
website.

> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                   (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                   (nnimap-stream ssl))

You don't need to specify port and stream.  Gnus figures out the most
secure method automatically.

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
	     '(nnimap "Gmail"
		      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))

> So I've put it in .emacs
> Now I have this error
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> `/home/sprudhom/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-secondary-select-methods

That means, that Gnus is not loaded at the time when that code got
executed, which is emacs startup time.  So put it into ~/.gnus.el
instead of ~/.emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gmail with emacs
@ 2011-12-22 18:06   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-12-22 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/21/11 10:21 AM, Steve Prud'Homme wrote:
> Ok i try to configure my GNU Emacs to read gmail email.
> I saw on a web site that i have to put these line :
>
> (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "gmail"
>                                    (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
>                                    (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                    (nnimap-stream ssl))
>

> So I've put it in .emacs
> Now I have this error
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> `/home/sprudhom/.emacs':
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-secondary-select-methods
>
> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
> cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
> the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>
> I'm a beginner in emacs mail... can anybody help me with a low level
> (rookie) langage.

gnus-secondary-select-methods is not yet defined, when you are trying to add
the nnimap entry to its default value.

So put (require 'gnus) before the (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
...) form, or wrap the add-to-list form in (eval-after-load "gnus" (quote ...))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA