On Sep 18, 2017, at 21:05, Mike Kupfer wrote: > > I see the same issue after using openssl to encrypt or decrypt a file. > Just never got around to filing a bug report… Interesting. I’ve only noticed it in 25.2 and 25.3 on macOS (installed from brew). I can’t reproduce it in 25.2 on Ubuntu 17.10. > alto$ openssl aes-256-cbc -in foo.txt -out foo.text.enc > enter aes-256-cbc encryption password: > Verifying - enter aes-256-cbc encryption password: > alto$ ls > ls > deb9-upgrade.log foo.text.enc ieee-cs-election-receipt.pdf > enchant.dummy* foo.txt net-neutrality-comments.pdf > alto$ echo $SHELL > echo $SHELL > /bin/bash > alto$ This is reproducible for me too on macOS. I can also reproduce it by running the Mailman 3 shell from git checkout. That made me think it could be readline related, but I built a Mailman 3 without readline support and it made no difference. I haven’t figured out what the common denominator is, but I edebug’d it down to comint-send-string and then process-send-string. There the trail ended with C code and I haven’t gdb’d into that. It seems like some state in process-send-string gets confused and starts echoing the input. -Barry