all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Window background color
@ 2008-10-06  3:47 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-10-06  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

How does one set the background color of a window?

I use `face-remapping-alist' to define a `default' face for a buffer,
with a specific background color.  This works fine unless the buffer
is small and does not fill the whole window, or if I scroll to the
end.  The area between the last line of the buffer and the bottom of
the window is drawn in the frame's background color, rather than in
the background color assigned with the default face in that buffer.

(I see this in a 23 CVS (Cocoa port) build.)

It appears that only a frame parameter is used and that the frame is
cleared using a rif->clear_frame_area call, which is not specific to
windows.  I haven't found the right fix for this so far.  Would it be
sensible to change clear_frame_area to establish the right background
color, i.e. the one associated with the default face appropriate for
the buffer shown in the window (updated_window), and only default to
the frame's background?

* Re: Window background color
@ 2008-10-06  4:06 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-10-06  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
> It appears that only a frame parameter is used and that the frame is
> cleared using a rif->clear_frame_area call, which is not specific to
> windows.  I haven't found the right fix for this so far.  Would it be
> sensible to change clear_frame_area to establish the right background
> color, i.e. the one associated with the default face appropriate for
> the buffer shown in the window (updated_window), and only default to
> the frame's background?

In my "tiling" branch, I've fixed some of that by adding a "clear window area"
operation that can do window-specific handling, and changing appropriate
callers to use that.

Maybe I should merge some of the more generic changes such as that to
the trunk.

-Miles

--
Infancy, n. The period of our lives when, according to Wordsworth, 'Heaven
lies about us.' The world begins lying about us pretty soon afterward.

* Re: Window background color
@ 2008-10-06  4:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-10-06  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 23:47:39 -0400
>
> How does one set the background color of a window?

You can't, AFAIK.

> I use `face-remapping-alist' to define a `default' face for a buffer,
> with a specific background color.  This works fine unless the buffer
> is small and does not fill the whole window, or if I scroll to the
> end.  The area between the last line of the buffer and the bottom of
> the window is drawn in the frame's background color, rather than in
> the background color assigned with the default face in that buffer.

That's the expected behavior.

> Would it be sensible to change clear_frame_area to establish the
> right background color, i.e. the one associated with the default
> face appropriate for the buffer shown in the window
> (updated_window), and only default to the frame's background?

I wouldn't do that, at least not now now, since this is how Emacs
behaved since the introduction of faces, and we are in feature freeze.

* Re: Window background color
@ 2008-10-06 14:07   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2008-10-06 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel