all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-12 16:25 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-12 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:58:07 +0100
>

>Please reply to the group / list so that others can help / learn.
Yea, sorry about that. I'll post to the group from now on.

>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> >>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
> >>
> >>Edit ~/.Xdefaults:
> >>
> >>!! Adjust values to taste.
> >>Emacs.pane.menubar.margin: 0
> >>Emacs.pane.menubar.shadowThickness: 0
> >>
> >>xrdb ~/.Xdefaults
> >
> > Exactly what does this do? It didn't change the size of the menubar
> > at all.
>
>I think the "X Resources" section of the Emacs manual explains it far
>better than I could.
Yes, I was able to manipulate the size of the menubar in emacs20.7. In
21.2-1, I'm not able to do so using the same method.

>I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Do you want to change the
>font-size of the menubar? If so, try something like
>
>Emacs.pane.menubar.*font:
>-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
>All I can say is, "it works for me" (emacs-21.3,
>--with-x-toolkit=athena, under X windows).
>
>If it doesn't work for you, you need to provide more information.
>What is your OS? Which Emacs version? What configuration options (see
>the variable system-configuration-options)?
I'm running debian(woody) with emacs21.-1. I only upgraded to this because
of a font problem that I was experiencing.

[parent not found: <mailman.4571.1050336975.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-14 16:11 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-14 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:04:21 +0100
>
>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> > When we talk about the menubar, I'm referring to the bar with File,
> > Edit, Options, etc. Is this the case here?
>
>Yes, we are at least talking about the same thing.
>
> > In emacs20, I was able to change this at will.
>
>How did you do that?
emacs*borderWidth: 3

> > Did you compile emacs on your own?
>
>Yes. With the lucid (aka athena) x-toolkit.
How did do you compile with a certain the xtoolkit? I'm going to try and
build emacs20 from source since emacs20(debian prepackage) seems to have a
font problem.

> > I'm using debian pre-packaged emacs21 and I'm really not sure if I
> > like this at all.
>
>Maybe a Debian user (not my distro) can help you out - I'm afraid I
>don't seem to be helping very much.
I've asked numerous amount of debian and non debian user about my problmes
with emacs20. I even submitted a bug to debian about it but we all know how
long those things take.

[parent not found: <mailman.4541.1050301369.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-14  6:22 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-14  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From: Glenn Morris <gmorris+news@ast.cam.ac.uk>
>To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>Subject: Re: emacs21 config
>Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:14:03 +0100
>
>"Bruce Park" wrote:
>
> > I'm running debian(woody) with emacs21.-1.
>
>Maybe your version uses the Motif toolkit? In which case, try:
>
>Emacs.pane.menubar.*.borderWidth.:      0
>
>and similarly for marginBottom, marginHeight, marginLeft, marginRight,
>marginTop, marginWidth.
When we talk about the menubar, I'm referring to the bar with File, Edit,
Options, etc. Is this the case here?
In emacs20, I was able to change this at will. The default size for this was
0 and 0 for both the height and width of it. I can't recall what I used in
my .Xdefaults file but I do remember that it worked in v20 and NOT in v21.
>You could try using editres to see what the resource names for your
>Emacs are. Anyone know how to tell from within Emacs which X-toolkit
>it was built with?
Did you compile emacs on your own? I'm using debian pre-packaged emacs21 and
I'm really not sure if I like this at all.

[parent not found: <mailman.4481.1050164889.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.4409.1049994153.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* emacs21 config
@ 2003-04-10 17:00 Bruce Park
From: Bruce Park @ 2003-04-10 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know how I can resize the menubar in emacs21? No matter what I
do, it seems like the default size(the smallest size) is bigger than it was
in emacs20.
Also, does anyone know how I can turn off the margins in emacs21 that tells
you about line wrapping?