all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A terminal emulator for running emacs
@ 2014-02-08  9:17 Prasoon Shukla
From: Prasoon Shukla @ 2014-02-08  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I know that sounds absurd. But that's something I need.

So, I use this small netbook for some of my work. It has kubuntu installed, which I like quite a bit. The problem is that the emacs GUI is looks horribly broken, even after some tweaks. However, emacs works great in the terminal. And, I prefer working in a terminal with a bunch of tabs rather than a bunch of open windows. But that's just me.

Anyway, this brings the usual problems  with it. For example, 'C-.' is detected by emacs as '.' only. Similarly for many other cases.

Things work nicely in xterm though. But then again, I don't really like xterm (no tabs unless you use screen, looks rather bad). So, what's a good terminal emulator that can capture keystrokes like xterm but other usual terminal features? I tried guake. It doesn't capture keystrokes.

Thanks.

* Re: A terminal emulator for running emacs
@ 2014-02-08 16:04 ` Rusi
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rusi @ 2014-02-08 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:47:31 PM UTC+5:30, Prasoon Shukla wrote:
> I know that sounds absurd. But that's something I need.

> So, I use this small netbook for some of my work. It has kubuntu
> installed, which I like quite a bit. The problem is that the emacs
> GUI is looks horribly broken, even after some tweaks. However, emacs
> works great in the terminal. And, I prefer working in a terminal
> with a bunch of tabs rather than a bunch of open windows. But that's
> just me.

> Anyway, this brings the usual problems  with it. For example, 'C-.' is
> detected by emacs as '.' only. Similarly for many other cases.

> Things work nicely in xterm though. But then again, I don't really
> like xterm (no tabs unless you use screen, looks rather bad). So,
> what's a good terminal emulator that can capture keystrokes like
> xterm but other usual terminal features? I tried guake. It doesn't
> capture keystrokes.

I dont know that too many people today use xterm
Mostly what is used is gnome-terminal (I use xfce4-terminal) -- both of which
are tabbed.

There must be something equivalent in kde ... konsole??

Also it would be good to hear/see how emacs gui is 'horribly broken'

* Re: A terminal emulator for running emacs
@ 2014-02-09  9:53 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-02-09  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasoon Shukla; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.02.2014 um 10:17 schrieb Prasoon Shukla:

> Anyway, this brings the usual problems  with it. For example, 'C-.' is detected by emacs as '.' only. Similarly for many other cases.

There exist only 32 control characters in an ANSI terminal. An X client can handle a few more input events with the modifier key control pressed.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One-Shot Case Study, n.:
	The scientific equivalent of the four-leaf clover, from which it is concluded all clovers possess four leaves and are sometimes green.

* Re: A terminal emulator for running emacs
@ 2014-02-09 10:22 ` Prasoon Shukla
From: Prasoon Shukla @ 2014-02-09 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@Rusi: I'm not saying that the Emacs GUI is 'horribly broken' in general. It is hirribly broken on my netbook because of some KDE specific bug. So, on maximizing, it won't completely maximize, the scrollbars have holes in them, the minibuffer is twice its usual width with some blank space below it (because the window doesn't maximize completely). While using helm, all the information at the top of the helm buffer appears thrice as big (the font size). I don't know what you'll say, but I think that that is horribly broken. And yes, I use konsole. But then again, it cannot intercept certain key combinations. Thus this quest for x based terminal emulator (since xterm works, other might as well).

@Peter : Yes, I'm aware of that. That is why I'm looking for a x based terminal emulator (since xterm works).

* Re: A terminal emulator for running emacs
@ 2014-02-09 11:02   ` par.pra.mukh
From: par.pra.mukh @ 2014-02-09 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I dont know that too many people today use xterm

I use xterm all the time. In X stumpwm/ratpoison + emacs + xterm
is what I prefer.

@ 2014-02-09 15:08   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-02-09 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasoon Shukla; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.02.2014 um 11:22 schrieb Prasoon Shukla:

> @Peter : Yes, I'm aware of that. That is why I'm looking for a x based terminal emulator (since xterm works).

It works because it translates a lot of X11 keyboard events into ANSI Esc sequences. And you can control the translation with appropriate X resources.

--
Greetings

  Pete

One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb movies alone.
				– Amiri Baraka, 1999

* Re: A terminal emulator for running emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-02-11  4:55 ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2014-02-11  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Have you checked with C-h l (view-lossage) or cat -v in bash that the
terminal sends some escape sequence to emacs?  If emacs sees a escape
sequence you can still remap it with

(define-key function-key-map "\eO2A" '[S-up])

\e is the escape character.

Anyway, my advice is to use xterm.