all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to show file encode under emacs
@ 2007-12-14  5:53 chandle.wei
       [not found] ` <mailman.5013.1197626478.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: chandle.wei @ 2007-12-14  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I just want show encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under bottom
bar .how to do it

* Re: how to show file encode under emacs
@ 2007-12-14 10:01 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.5013.1197626478.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandle.wei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.12.2007 um 06:53 schrieb chandle.wei:

> I just want show encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under bottom
> bar

What of the information the mode-line presents is missing?

--
Greetings

              ~  O
   Pete       ~~_\\_/%
              ~  O  o

@ 2007-12-19  3:27   ` chandle.wei
From: chandle.wei @ 2007-12-19  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 14, 6:01 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 14.12.2007 um 06:53 schrieb chandle.wei:
>
> > I just want show encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under bottom
> > bar
>
> What of the information the mode-line presents is missing?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>               ~  O
>    Pete       ~~_\\_/%
>               ~  O  o

I'm use unicad.el that an elisp port of Mozilla Universal Charset Auto
Detector .
I just want show detectored encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under
bottom
bar .how to do it

--
Good Luck

* Re: how to show file encode under emacs
@ 2007-12-19  9:18     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-12-19  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19 Dec, 03:27, "chandle.wei" <Chandle....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm use unicad.el that an elisp port of Mozilla Universal Charset Auto
> Detector .
> I just want show detectored encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under
> bottom
> bar .how to do it

There is a single letter indication on the left side of the mode-line
by default. u for unicode (utf-8 or utf-16), S for shift-jis, c for
gb2312. You can see which letters correspond to which coding-systems
with M-x list-coding-systems

* Re: how to show file encode under emacs
@ 2007-12-19 10:04     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-19 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandle.wei; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.12.2007 um 04:27 schrieb chandle.wei:

> I'm use unicad.el that an elisp port of Mozilla Universal Charset Auto
> Detector .

I don't know that file. And I don't know what it can do better then
existing code in GNU Emacs. Have you read in *info* buffer the
"Recognize Coding" node? And some more on encoding issues? Or about
the "Mode Line"?

> I just want show detectored encode like (utf-8 gb2312 shfit-jfs) under
> bottom bar .

What is that "bottom bar"? The dock?

> how to do it

Here is an excerpt form the HELLO buffer (C-h H):

Kannada (ಕನನಡ)                  ನಮಸಕಾರ
Lao (ພາສາລາວ)                   ສະບາຍດ,
ຂໃຫໂຊກດ
Malayalam (മലയാളം)              നമസകാരം
Maltese (il-Malti)              Bonġu, Saħħa
Mathematics                     ∀ p ∈ world • hello p  □
-UUJ:%%--F1  HELLO          Top (1,0)      (Fundamental View)----Mi,
19. Dez 2007 10:17 0.36----

The mode-line starts, at the left, with - and then, only when used in
a terminal emulation or a real terminal, come three characters that
describe encoding parameters (in a windowing environment only one
character is used), I think it's Unicode (UTF-8) for input and output
encoding operations and then the J stands for iso-2022-7bit encoding
used for the file visiting the buffer. You can get explanation for
these "remarks" with M-x describe-coding-system (or C-h C) and then
RET to choose information for this buffer. In a windowing environment
you can simply click with the mouse (left) onto the character and a
*Help* buffer opens to explain – I think you'll need an up-to-date
version 22.x of GNU Emacs.

If you're asking how to integrate output of unicad.el into mode-line:
I don't know, because I don't know that file and what it does and how
it outputs/provides information. Anyway, you can customise mode-line:

	Options menu -> Customize Emacs -> Specific Option...

and enter:

	m o d e - <TAB>

then choose mode-line-format. You'll see:

(#("-" 0 1
    (help-echo "mouse-1: select (drag to resize), mouse-2: delete
others, mouse-3: delete this"))
  mode-line-mule-info mode-line-modified mode-line-frame-
identification mode-line-buffer-identification

The important term is the variable mode-line-mule-info. You might
consider to substitute it with something else, from unicad.el. You
might also, and maybe better, consider to add something coming from
unicad.el somewhere else to mode-line ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

neither do we.