Perry, Thanks for your help. I'm glad you were at least able to reproduce the problem. I'll try experimenting with removing things from my .emacs file to see if that makes a difference. BTW, sounds like our monitors display the grey a little differently. My second monitor is much lighter, but my macbook pro seems dark. The green or magenta text on a grey background is virtually unreadable. Warren On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:12 PM, Perry Smith wrote: > > I telnet'ed to a Unix system and then back to my laptop (Mac). > Started Emacs -nw and it came up in the terminal. > > I get the same list for list-color-display that you got. I have a > black menu with white text at the top. My mode lines are black with > white. My normal text is black on white background. The *scratch* > butter starts with a "red" messages on white background. > > All of these are muted slightly... the red is not full on and the > write is very slightly grey. But it sounds like your grey is darker. > > My guess is the terminfo on Ubuntu is not exactly compatible with > Mac's Terminal.app... but that seems rather unlikely. > > My second guess is Ubuntu has modified emacs in this area but that > also seems unlikely. > > I don't know enough about how the colors and faces all interact or how > to customize them. Hopefully someone else on this list will pipe up. > > You might try not using the daemon approach and, in particular, try > starting without using your init file. Perhaps there is something > in there that is confusing things. > > Sorry I can't be more help. > > Perry >