all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eLisp: Print variable content to message buffer
@ 2008-01-04 15:48 Will
From: Will @ 2008-01-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

after looking around in the web without finding a solution, I still
wonder how one can print the content of a variable to the *message*
buffer. Specifically, I'd like to have an output like this in my
*message* buffer after starting Emacs:

"This is my Emacs Exec-Path:"
<exec-path>

Thanks in advance,

Will

PS: What reference for eLisp would you recommend
(apart from those included in Emacs)?

* Re: eLisp: Print variable content to message buffer
@ 2008-01-04 16:25 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2008-01-04 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Will wrote:
> after looking around in the web without finding a solution, I still
> wonder how one can print the content of a variable to the *message*
> buffer. Specifically, I'd like to have an output like this in my
> *message* buffer after starting Emacs:
>
> "This is my Emacs Exec-Path:"
> <exec-path>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Will
>
> PS: What reference for eLisp would you recommend
> (apart from those included in Emacs)?

none. at least i've never used any other reference material. i started out
with the emacs lisp intro, and from there on only used the elisp reference
manual that comes with emacs.

as a first step toward solving your problem, do:

C-h i m elisp RET m index RET m message RET

or alternatively, put your cursor directly after the following line and
type C-x C-e (in emacs, of course):

(info "(elisp)Displaying Messages")

HTH

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: eLisp: Print variable content to message buffer
@ 2008-01-04 17:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-04 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 04.01.2008 um 16:48 schrieb Will:

> I'd like to have an output like this in my *message* buffer after
> starting Emacs:

Have you never seen a line of code like this one?

	(message "This is the value of my %s: %s" 'exec-path exec-path)

--
Greetings

   Pete

I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.
			- Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen.