all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12  5:52 Scott Goldstein
From: Scott Goldstein @ 2002-06-12  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two unrelated questions.

1.  How can I find out what variables are valid in the list,
default-frame-alist?  In other, what parameters can I set?

2.  When I run bash in Emacs, I would like it to read my .bash_profile
file.  I have the following in my .emacs in order to do this:

(setq explicit-sh-args '("-login" "-i"))

However, it doesn't work.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

* Re: A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12  9:18 ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-06-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to set the default font in my Emacs (in Red Hat) to a larger
size. I found some sample .emacs files on the web that contained
settings such as

(set-default-font "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-16-96-*-*-c-90-*-ansi-")

But when I try these, I get an error message saying that the font I have
listed is not defined. How can I get a list of the fonts that are
defined for my installation?

Chuck

* Re: A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12 11:31   ` Marco Baringer
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-06-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> I am trying to set the default font in my Emacs (in Red Hat) to a larger
> size. I found some sample .emacs files on the web that contained
> settings such as
>
> (set-default-font "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-16-96-*-*-c-90-*-ansi-")
>
> But when I try these, I get an error message saying that the font I have
> listed is not defined. How can I get a list of the fonts that are
> defined for my installation?

M-x set-default-font TAB

will give you all the fonts available. this is kind of hackish, but it
works.

use:

(insert (frame-parameter nil 'font))

once you have found a font you like to write this into your .emacs
unless you feel like copying the font name. type the above, hit C-x
C-e and then delete that lisp code.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.

* A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-30 20:05 Scott Goldstein
From: Scott Goldstein @ 2002-06-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I sent this message a few weeks ago and didn't get a reply.  I thought
that I would try again.

I have two unrelated questions.

1.  How can I find out what variables are valid in the list,
default-frame-alist?  In other words, what parameters can I set?

@ 2002-07-01 12:32 Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-07-01 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scott

Here is an excerpt from the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual:

Just what parameters a frame has depends on what display mechanism it uses.
Here is a table of the parameters of an X window frame:

name
The name of the frame.

left
The screen position of the left edge, in pixels.

top
The screen position of the top edge, in pixels.

height
The height of the frame contents, in pixels.

width
The width of the frame contents, in pixels.

window-id
The number of the X window for the frame.

minibuffer
Whether this frame has its own minibuffer. The value t means yes, nil means
no, only means this frame is just a minibuffer, a minibuffer window (in some
other frame) means the new frame uses that minibuffer.

font
The name of the font for text in the frame. This is a string.

auto-raise
Whether selecting the frame raises it (non-nil means yes).

auto-lower
Whether deselecting the frame lowers it (non-nil means yes).

vertical-scroll-bars
Whether the frame has a scroll bar for vertical scrolling (non-nil means
yes).

horizontal-scroll-bars
Whether the frame has a scroll bar for horizontal scrolling (non-nil means
yes). (Horizontal scroll bars are not currently implemented.)

icon-type
The type of icon to use for this frame when it is iconified. Non-nil
specifies a bitmap icon, nil a text icon.

foreground-color
The color to use for the inside of a character. We use strings to designate
colors; the X server defines the meaningful color names.

background-color
The color to use for the background of text.

mouse-color
The color for the mouse cursor.

cursor-color
The color for the cursor that shows point.

border-color
The color for the border of the frame.

cursor-type
The way to display the cursor. There are two legitimate values: bar and box.
The value bar specifies a vertical bar between characters as the cursor. The
value box specifies an ordinary black box overlaying the character after
point; that is the default.

border-width
The width in pixels of the window border.

internal-border-width
The distance in pixels between text and border.

unsplittable
If non-nil, this frame's window is never split automatically.

visibility
The state of visibility of the frame. There are three possibilities: nil for
invisible, t for visible, and icon for iconified. See section Visibility of
Frames.

menu-bar-lines
The number of lines to allocate at the top of the frame for a menu bar. The
default is zero. See section The Menu Bar.

parent-id
The X Window number of the window that should be the parent of this one.
Specifying this lets you create an Emacs window inside some other
application's window. (It is not certain this will be implemented; try it
and see if it works.)

Sorry, don't know anything about bash.

Kevin