all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?
@ 2014-01-31 21:23 Renato
From: Renato @ 2014-01-31 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
very simple question (for the "expert")
I don't know, wich .emacs Im using. Is there  a ariable than I can ask?
For a prob (that Rustom know well...) I've uninstalled my emacss on
Debian wheezy  (apt-get remove emacs*)
ad I've installed "brand new" emacs (apt-get install emacs)

So, I think I've to search about .emacs, in my home dir. but I don't
find it.

So: where can I look for?

TIA

Renato

* Re: can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?
@ 2014-01-31 21:33 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13408.1391204419.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-01-31 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.01.2014 um 22:23 schrieb Renato:

> Is there  a ariable than I can ask?

user-init-file

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the entire catalogue.
		–  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897

* Re: can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?
@ 2014-01-31 21:39   ` Renato
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13410.1391204853.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13408.1391204419.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Renato @ 2014-01-31 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

emh...and I can I show this variable? :-(

Renato

@ 2014-01-31 21:47     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13410.1391204853.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2014-01-31 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.01.2014 um 22:39 schrieb Renato:

> and I can I show this variable?

Whom? For yourself you can use C-h v and then enter the variable's name. In mini-buffer. A *Help* buffer then will open and surely tell you what you want to know.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"My goal is to be a meteorologist. But since I have no training in meteorology, I suppose I should try stock brokerage."

@ 2014-01-31 22:54     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-01-31 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Renato <renato.pontefice@gmail.com> writes:

> emh...and I can I show this variable? :-(

M-x ielm RET user-init-file RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

@ 2014-02-01  0:02       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-02-01  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> and I can I show this variable?
>
> Whom? For yourself you can use C-h v and then enter
> the variable's name. In mini-buffer. A *Help* buffer
> then will open and surely tell you what you want to
> know.

If the variable is somewhere in the buffer, you can
place point to the right of the symbol and hit `C-x
C-e' - try that, here: user-init-file - otherwise, try
M-: and type: user-init-file RET - that way, contrary
to the other mentioned solutions, you get to keep your
windows and buffers intact (so it is less disruptive to
your workflow). But IELM can be used to track the
changes of a symbol (variable) value, and to have that
persistent, and of course, help mode tells you a lot
more than just the value. So depending on what you want
to do, there are still lots of ways to do it :)

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: can I understand wich .emacs I'm using?
@ 2014-02-01  2:20       ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-02-01  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:24:01 AM UTC+5:30, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Renato writes:

> > emh...and I can I show this variable? :-(

> M-x ielm RET user-init-file RET

When you do that you should get (something like) the following

-------------------
*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
ELISP> user-init-file
"/home/renato/.emacs.d/init.el"
ELISP> user-emacs-directory
"~/.emacs.d/"
ELISP> (getenv "HOME")
"/home/renato"
ELISP> (getenv "USERPROFILE")
nil
ELISP>

In any case please check the above 4 things -- 2 variables and 2 getenv -- on
both linux and windows and report back.

[And yes, M-x means Escape followed by x, or Alt and x together like Shift and
A together which gets you a capital A. And dont ask why the unintuitive name like M- for that!