all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-22 10:12 gurnemanz82
From: gurnemanz82 @ 2010-02-22 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I would like to change the color of the cursor (or of the current line)
depending on whether caps lock is on or not.

Someone knows or can give a hint how to do that (my lisp knowledge is zero)?

Thank you!

* Re: Color of the cursor
       [not found] <mailman.1637.1266833597.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-22 10:44 ` Torsten Mueller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1651.1266852233.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Torsten Mueller @ 2010-02-22 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gurnemanz82 <gurnemanz@me.com> schrieb:

> I would like to change the color of the cursor

The cursor has a customizable face where you can select the color.

M-x customize-face RET cursor RET

T.M.

* Re: Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-22 11:53   ` gurnemanz82
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1651.1266852233.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: gurnemanz82 @ 2010-02-22 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for the tip, although it seems to be irrelevant to my post.
As I wrote, I need a method to change the color of the cursor *depending*
whether caps lock is on or not.
I mean: when caps lock is on, red cursor, when the caps lock is off, blue
cursor.
This kind of customization is apparently not present in the customize-face
menu.

Best regards

Torsten Mueller-3 wrote:

> gurnemanz82 <gurnemanz@me.com> schrieb:
>
>> I would like to change the color of the cursor
>
> The cursor has a customizable face where you can select the color.
>
> M-x customize-face RET cursor RET
>
> T.M.

* Re: Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-22 14:24 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-02-22 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gurnemanz82 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to change the color of the cursor (or of the current line)
> depending on whether caps lock is on or not.
>
> Someone knows or can give a hint how to do that (my lisp knowledge is zero)?
>
> Thank you!

Interesting question. However, from my --limited-- knowledge: would not expect a solution at the Emacs level.

AFAIU Emacs works with signals send by keys. If caps lock is down, other signals are sent.
Emacs will ignore the reasons, as it seems not to receive a signal from caps lock.

Let's see what others say...

Andreas

* RE: Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-22 14:47 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-22 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gurnemanz82', Help-gnu-emacs

> I would like to change the color of the cursor (or of the
> current line) depending on whether caps lock is on or not.
>
> Someone knows or can give a hint how to do that (my lisp
> knowledge is zero)?

1. For code changing the cursor color under some condition (in your case,
whether caps-lock is on), see
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ChangingCursorDynamically.

You just need to specify the condition caps-lock-is-on in Lisp (can't help with
that), then use the existing code as a model. The existing code uses other
conditions, but it does the same thing.

2. For changing the face of the current line (i.e. highlighting it in a color
you choose), see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightCurrentLine and
customize face `hl-line'.

3. If you are doing this to easily locate the cursor position, then you might
want to highlight both line and column. For that, see
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CrosshairHighlighting.

* Re: Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-23  3:39   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-02-23  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
> You just need to specify the condition caps-lock-is-on in Lisp...

;-)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: Color of the cursor
@ 2010-02-23  4:29     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-23  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kevin Rodgers', help-gnu-emacs

> > You just need to specify the condition caps-lock-is-on in Lisp...
>
> ;-)

Tout a fait. ;-)

* Re: Color of the cursor
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1651.1266852233.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-23  5:53     ` Torsten Mueller
From: Torsten Mueller @ 2010-02-23  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gurnemanz82 <gurnemanz@me.com> schrieb:

> Thank you for the tip, although it seems to be irrelevant to my
> post. As I wrote, I need a method to change the color of the cursor
> *depending* whether caps lock is on or not.

Yes, my send button pressing finger was faster than my reading eyes ...

T.M.