all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Suggestion: remove s/sco[45].h etc.
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:47:46 -0600	[thread overview]

On Nov 20, 2003, at 5:26 PM, Kim F. Storm wrote:
> I suggest that we remove the corresponding support files, that is
> s/sco4.h and s/sco5.h, as well as other s/*.h files for other
> sysV / usg derivates created or owned by SCO.

I'm highly sympathetic, but don't think this is actually a good idea.
There's a distinction between users and providers.   SCO users right
now are in a bad situation - it's likely that SCO is going to go under
and leave them high and dry.   They didn't start this lawsuit, and
frankly I suspect a lot of them wish it had never happened, but their
businesses depend on software they bought from SCO before the lawsuit
started.   This would just make things worse for them, without
materially affecting SCO itself.   The whole point of the GPL is to
promote software freedom, and it seems to me that this sends the wrong
message to SCO users - "go away."   We want them to come to us, not go
away.   There's a decent chance that if we don't strive to prevent it,
a lot of them are going to switch to GNU/Linux in the near future.

Given the present lawsuit against IBM, if SCO builds a copy of emacs
either for their own use or for distribution, they are violating the
copyright - they are not abiding by the terms of the GPL, so they have
no right to make copies of GPL software.   So in fact, the people who
this change would target aren't even legally permitted to use the
software to which the change is being made.

So unless it would strengthen the FSF's legal position with respect to
SCO to take these includes out, I think it would be a bad strategy.